Posts by Quantum73

I saw a pretty good improvement on my old MTR's using a utility knife and cutting ~3/8" sipes into the tread. Big difference in wet stuff, especially on the road, no chunking issues...

I figured I would offer this up on here. Main post is over on Expedition Portal.

http://www.expeditionportal.co…-Lid-for-CDN-M101-or-M416

Having bought a new trailer tent setup last fall, I no longer need my RTT/Lid for my CDN M101. Details as follows:

RTT - Camping Lab
    Size: 72" x 96"
    Weight: ~100 lbs.
    3" Foam Mattress

This is the "last" version that was manufactured and has the heavy duty cover. It is approximately 4 years old has been used, but also taken care of VERY well with zero damage or issues. The tent, rain fly, and cover materials are all in perfect shape with no age or sun related damage. Additionally I have used some very good seam sealer to treat all the seams as a preventative measure, although I have never had any leaking issues. I also have installed 3 LED light strips on the roof supports. Typically, I would simply plug them in to a dimmer switch which in turn connected to a small 12v battery. As far as sleeping comfort goes, I think the mattress in this tent is the best one I have ever slept on, bar none. This tent easily fits 2 adults with gear with room for a kid and dog if you want cozy. :) I had it mounted on my trailer, where it fit perfectly, but it is also simple to mount as a RTT on top of a rack or load bar system.

Regarding Camping Lab going Out of Business, no worries, the tent is identical to the Mombasa RTT ADVENTURE II (3 MAN) (RTT9010) so parts/accessories can still easily be gotten.

For Reference - http://www.expeditionportal.co…-Lab-Roof-Top-Tent-Review

CDN M10 / M416 Aluminum Lid

I hate to get rid of this as my buddy built it for me, but I just don't have a need for it anymore. The lid is a single sheet of 3/8" aluminum (I forget the alloy but it worked perfectly) and has been braced such that there is zero flex. The welding is immaculate. It has been powder coated black and was attached to the trailer with barrel hinges. The companion halves (3) simply need to be welded on to the trailer and the lid slides right on. This style hinge allows for quick removal of the lid. Alternate hinges could easily be used. The lid is locked in place by 2 lockable latches that just bolt to the trailer. It is currently drilled to allow direct attachment of the RTT mounting rails but it would be easy to block the holes and use an alternate system like a Thule or Yakima.

So, the costs...

I would like to get $600 for the tent, $500 for the lid, or $1000 for both. I would definitely prefer selling this as a package and I will entertain offers. Barring any legitimate offers, I will just hold on to it. The tent and lid are located near Annapolis, MD and would be willing to work with a serious buyer for something other than a local pickup. I will monitor this thread for questions and send any interested parties my contact info if requested.

TIA!

Not that this helps you right now but in the near future the v2 Google Nexus 10 will be released and you may start to find some great deals on the v1 models. I have a 32GB v1 and it is the best thing since sliced bread. My Wife and I use it every single day...

Let me add, its main purpose is running Torque and GPS in the Tacoma... :) Curious what single app you intend to use it for.

Not that this helps you right now but in the near future the v2 Google Nexus 10 will be released and you may start to find some great deals on the v1 models. I have a 32GB v1 and it is the best thing since sliced bread. My Wife and I use it every single day...

I'm of the assumption that Icon Motoring and Icon4x4 are completely different companies - is that who you are thinking about? :shrug:

http://www.iconmotoring.com/index.php (dealership of fancy vehicles)
    http://www.icon4x4.com/ (builder/restorer of supercool vehicles)

I believe they are separate but I have seen stuff from both. Of course they could be related, or one just trying to cash in on the others reputation. Hard to say... What they do seem to have in common are some very high prices. :)

If you guys aren't familiar with them, Icon Motoring does some of the higher-end offroad vehicle restorations. I have looked at FJ's from them in the past. I have no experience firsthand, but their rigs go on the high end of cost and they do seem to be able to move them. Not saying they are worth it, just what I have observed in the past.

So i dropped to 20 psi, helped a bit, still dont have full contact, but im going to see if it will soften up a bit like that. i did drive it to work today (35 miles) and it def was not too soft or poor handling, so im happy with it for now. i dont think i really want to go below 20.

This is really the right method. You want a slight bulge in the sidewall since these are not being driven like race cars (I hope). Just watch/feel for excessive sidewall rollover. Huge difference in steering feel for the better at 18 psi versus 32 in my experience. I always forgot to air-down after having a shop mount new tires. Always remembered after the drive home though. Lol. Also always ran 8" wide wheels for 12.50 tires, and 9" on my 13.50's, never had issues. IMHO 10" wheels just look stupid and are that much more exposed to rocks and such.

Also interesting - http://forum.ih8mud.com/tire-w…rison-clearance-loss.html

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/air-down-basics/

18 psi - 22 psi seemed to be the best spot for most tires I ever ran on the Jeep due its extremely light weight (compared to the tire rating). Best ride and wear, just be sure to rotate regularly and watch the wear pattern...

He got them from me. They were less then 3 months old when I mounted them up for him.

Off topic but confused here. Are you saying that Pat bought a set from you or Ed did? Because AFAIK Ed did not buy those from you... And there were 37" Toyo MT's on Pat's Jeep when he bought it from Ed. Like I said, just confused...

Well, everyone has their opinions. I found them to have excellent traction both on the trails and street. Perhaps the driver was the issue... :razz: But that set you had? Ed bought them used off a guy so who knows how old they were or how f'ed up the compound had gotten. Seems like that set chunked like crazy, mine never did. Personally, I think they were an old set that the compound had hardened on. Mine were new...