Won't shift..clutch grinding

• 97 TJ 168k

Went out last night to take the Jeep for a spin, turned on fin, went to put it into reverse and instantaneous grinding. I couldn't shift into any other gears. When the Jeep was off I could shift into gear.

Anyone have any insight into this issue? I am assuming it is a clutch problem.

New to the Jeep world<br /><br />Disclaimer: Will ask dumb questions

• I'm thinking the hydraulic clutch system needs fluid or you needs replaced.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Because u replaced it doesnt mean that its not the issue. Can u put it in gear with the truck off, push clutch in and start the jeep. If the jeep moves with the starter then the hydros r not pushing the clutch back. If that is the case its either the hydros [slave , master or both], or something mechanical to the clutch has failed. I have seen both through out bearings seize and pressure plates fail.

If the jeep doent move with the starter but u still cant shift then its usually a mechanical issue.

• Understood.

Yes. I can shift with the engine off. Just did it with no issues. However, when I put it into reverse, clutch depressed and turned it on, it went back with the clutch fully depressed and had to shut off the engine to get it to stop. Still cannot shift with the engine on.

I am just new with this so I have no real good idea what it could be unless someone can look at it.

Because u replaced it doesnt mean that its not the issue. Can u put it in gear with the truck off, push clutch in and start the jeep. If the jeep moves with the starter then the hydros r not pushing the clutch back. If that is the case its either the hydros [slave , master or both], or something mechanical to the clutch has failed. I have seen both through out bearings seize and pressure plates fail.

If the jeep doent move with the starter but u still cant shift then its usually a mechanical issue.

• So it does sound Hydrolic related. I assume you checked the fluid level in the master cyl.
    Is it an internal or external slave ?
    Have you bled it ?
    Can you see the actuation from underneath when someone presses the clutch?

When you re-did the clutch you installed a new slave ? Perhaps the Master went bad.

A new master slave assembly is about $100.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Its a 97 so the slave will be external. U can get a prebled master and save for around 150. Its 2 bolts on the trans and 2 more on the firewall with a pushrod clip. Not hard to replace but some times its hard to reach the bolts.

• The master is full and no signs of leaks or breaks. I replaced both with a prebled assembly. It seems that it is mechanical from everything I have been trying.

Its a 97 so the slave will be external. U can get a prebled master and save for around 150. Its 2 bolts on the trans and 2 more on the firewall with a pushrod clip. Not hard to replace but some times its hard to reach the bolts.

• The master is full and no signs of leaks or breaks. I replaced both with a prebled assembly. It seems that it is mechanical from everything I have been trying.

Perhaps get underneath and watch as depresses the clutch and see if the pivot actuates.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Thanks. I will do that.

On another note, do you or anyone on here know who/where could replace the clutch at a reasonable price?

Perhaps get underneath and watch as depresses the clutch and see if the pivot actuates.

• Astape can. Not sure when he has an opening on a lift but a lot of us go to him with Jeep woes and modifications.

I need to talk to him about about some work actually.

As for commercial garages, Sevy's on Christiana Road (rt 273) is very trustworthy and reputable. I take my newer vehicles there for stuff I don't want to do.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Awesome, I will stop by Sevys today on my drive home.

Ideally, I want to help with this and see how it is done, so I sent astape a message. Thanks for the help.

Astape can. Not sure when he has an opening on a lift but a lot of us go to him with Jeep woes and modifications.

I need to talk to him about about some work actually.

As for commercial garages, Sevy's on Christiana Road (rt 273) is very trustworthy and reputable. I take my newer vehicles there for stuff I don't want to do.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!