Remove Minispool?

• My jeep has a minispool in the Ford 8.8 rear that the previous owner put in. When I bought it, I got a box of (what I assume is) all the gears/parts that were taken out to put the minispool in. However, the minispool makes turning at slow speeds a complete pain in the butt, it's pretty much perma-locked. Considering that my rig will mainly be a trail rig, but also a towing rig and occasional driver, I think I want to take it out. Any idea of how hard this will be for an amateur wrencher? Anyone have links to writeups?

Thanks!

• tom give me a call.. depending on what you exactly have in there.. what you have in the box.. and if anything was modified.. it shouldnt be that hard... id be happy to take a look and give a hand sometime
    Rob

• happy reading seems pretty simple to me

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/…hive/index.php/t-330.html

I found that same article today! My only problem is I don't know how to do the following (In bold:(

here are the steps
    1) raise rear of trucka dn suppost with jackstands
    2) remove rear tires and drums
    3) after raising the rear end remopve the diff cover bolts startiing at the
    botom( i have found this to be the easy way)
    4) drain diff of the gear oil
    5) drop you drive line that way you can turn the pinion and carrier
    6) on the side of the carrier will be a 8mm bolt that hold the pin in place
    remove it
    7) turn your carrier to remove the upper spider gears
    8) have a helper pus in the axle shafts and remove the c-clips
    9) remove the last two spider gears
    10) place the fisrt part of the new mini spool in where the spioder gear was
    11) do the same on the other side making sure you REPLACE the c clips
    12) next place the last two parts of the mini spool in the middle of the two
    side halves
    13) replace the carrier pin
    14) replace the carrier pin bolt
    15) reconnect your drive line
    16) put the diff cover back on with a new gasket
    17) put gear oil in

18) repeat steps 1&2 in reverse order and go test

But it definately has to be done. I found out tonight towing a trailer around a little bit tonite that towing + lockers = major tire rub. I'll be looking to do this probably next week, and will definately take you up on that offer to help rob ;) I will take a picture of the gears they guy gave me when I bought it so I can start figuring out what I've got to work with.

Thanks!

• ok i have this 5 lbs hand sledge, i call bertha, i use it to get the crazy ship out of the bottle once it works realy well, if you wanna pound on it some ill let you used it, and maybe it well that that out too, if all else fails it will make you feel better.

• If ya get it out in one piece I may be interested in taking it off your hands. :innocent:

If you are available to assist in it's removal, you may be able to convince me to part with it for naught.

That's definitely the kind of picture-packed info I need. Thanks for the link! Here are another 2 that I found that I've been reading. They aren't 8.8 / minispool specific, but I found helpful with regards to learning about axle composition:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/PowerTrax-No-Slip/index4.htm
    http://www.offroaders.com/tech/axles/arb-widetrack.htm

After talking with Chris (Quadna) a bit, it seems like this is do-able. It'll probably have to wait a couple weeks because I don't want to risk breaking it before JFJ and the day-before-turkey-day runs to RC. May need to wait until after that to do it.

if you can figure it out bring it to dover and I can charge you or maybe some one else will do it for you....

If I didn't still have a ton of wish-list gear to buy, I would probably bring it to ya. Still need snorkel, roof rack, synthetic winch line, rear bumper, and probably manual lockers for the rear.

• Tom like i said.. give me a call i might have some of that wish list stuff you need/want too.. im parting out an xj and selling another..

• If you are available to assist in it's removal, you may be able to convince me to part with it for naught.

Sounds like a deal to me. Let me know when you're gonna yank'er out. :up:

• Btw, after seeing this thing in action this weekend..... I'm definitely not removing it. I will be getting a new diff cover though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!