HELP: What is this?

• Is this called a steering knuckle? Referring to the part that the caliper bolts onto. Mine is completely stripped out and my caliper was free floating. Have jeep apart in a garage, trying to figure out if I should heli-coil the threads or try to aquire a new one.

Thanks!

• That looks like the caliper braket adapter, I think if you pull the hub (w/rotor) it should be removable from the knuckle, hard to tell from the pic. It is that way on my RC (dana44)

The knuckle is the piece held by the 2 ball joints (upper and lower)

• Hold on, are you talking about the holes that have nothing in them in the pic??

if so then they are not supposed to be threaded, the caliper is supposed to be free floating. the bolt should go through that hole and actually thread to the caliper. The caliper should slide along that bolt. As the pads wear, the calpier postion changes.

if needs be call me and I will see if I can expain it better, will pm you my #.

• All the help & advice from everyone was much appreciated today! The holes were indeed (once upon a time) threaded, they had become stripped, and I believe I lost the remaining bolt as I pulled into RC at the beginning of the day when we went Nov 22, so the horrendous noise I was hearing was the caliper banging around loose (literally).

We got the heli-coil kit, and put that in. Obviously replacing the entire knuckle is ideal but we did not have access to a replacement knuckle, and the vehicle had to be driveable by the end of the day. All my noise is now gone! :D Now all I have to do is fix the O2 sensors from when my jeep went swimming and I'm all set =)

• glad to hear you got it back together!!

Sorry I was unavailable to come up today...I did think about it but I think my wife would have killed me!!LOL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!