lift is here... wrenching STILL continues.... Problems (GRRRRR!!!)

• So what exactly makes a lift kit upgradeable?

I am looking around to buy the RE 3.5" SF and came across http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/227.html

Here are the options for the lift
    Adjustable Front Track Bar (+$157.95)
    Adjustable Rear Track Bar (+$157.95)
    Currie Anti Rock Upgrade (+$244.95)
    Adj. Front Lower Control Arms (+$40.00)
    Adj. Rear Lower Control Arms (+$40.00)
    Extended Rear Brake Line (+$40.95)
    RE3783 Upper Rear Control Arms (+$229.95)
    Currie 1” Body Lift Kit (requires MML) (+$94.95)
    M.O.R.E 1" 4.0L Motor Mount Lift (+$122.95)
    OME Nitrocharger Shocks (+$129.95)

I definatly need the new adj front track bar, but should I get the adj rear track bar and rear adj control arms?

and what size shocks work?

I hate to ask a lot but it appears the people at the website are on holiday break till after the new year. I want to put this on the first weekend of the year.

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO BUY TO GET ON THE ROAD WITH THE LIFT?

I NEED TO GET THIS ON. I AM ITCHING TO GO CRAWLING :bang:

• might aswell just buy a RE 4.5 and have the vendor swap the springs to RE 3.5
    that way u get everything
    adj lowers and uppers and track bars

wait on the anti rock untill later
    instead get a set of bpe's for the shocks

get a jks b/l and jks bmml
    northridge4x4 runs a special [ackage deal for a bl and bmm/l sometimes
    for a great price with free shipping
    keep shopping around for a better deal
    its always there
    just have to look

as for shocks
    get a decent set the first time
    however that will prob be trial and error and word of mouth
    but get a set for a 4 inch lift
    tho if u get OME shocks they should come with bpe's

rear brakeline isnt needed till u go long arm
    as for the front
    use the ones supplied in the kit u get

hth

• i have 33x12.5's and dont plan on going bigger for awhile.

am i compromising strength and performance with the adjustable control arms?

• No - they'll help you out in the long run - definately one of the things I put in my Should have done list

• I would cosider your plans for wheeling the jeep before you go and get a complete set of adjustable arms. If your only going to 33" tires and dont plan on wheeling the daylights out of the jeep, I recomend the fixed lowers and adjustable uppers. I used to drive mine daily and wheel the Christ out of it and I still have fixed lowers, as to many others. The front adj uppers will help with alignment issues (also helps keep the death wobble away) and the rear adj uppers will allow you to tilt your rear pinion to keep the driveshaft in line, which will reduce vibration. The other stuff can be added on as money and time permits. To be honest you probobly wont need adj front uppers at that hieght, but they may help some. As for the the other stuff, get the adj front and rear track bars, the extened front brake lines and the ome shocks. That should give you a healthy starting point, and if you feel the need to upgrade from there it can be done easily.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• You might be set on the RE kit but check out the ROUGH COUNTRY 4 inch kit. go to ROUGHCOUNTRY.COM. i got mine and love it. i got it from supplee 4x4 in oklahoma for $475 SHIPPED :o it usually costs 530 before shipping. if you want bobs info at supplee let me know. and go with everyones advice. you need upper adj. control arms atleast in the front. an adjuctable front track bar would be nice, other than that you should be fine.

• go 3.5 RE, no front uppers, rear uppers only, SYE and CV Shaft, use rear track bar bracket, drill OE track bar hole 3/4" inch over, OME long travel shocks and your done. no need for anti rock on that size lift or adjustable track bars, this is where you can cut cost and still do it right..and the RE 3.5 comes with front brake lines which is all you will need. theres no way in heck you need a 1" body on top of that to clear 33s. i cleared 35s easily on the 3.5 without a body lift especially a short arm 3.5 :up:

• i know 5 guys running the 3.5 inch kit with 33's and two of them(including me are running stock arms with no sye) i have fit 35's on it no prob. i would get the 3.5 basic with OME shocks and go from there.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• The front adjustable track bar is a must, redrilling the bracket only weakens it.... Adjustable lowers aren't worth the $$ as the ones in the "kit" are already the proper length..... For the SYE you need the upper rears, the upper fronts are nice to have as you can dial in caster.... My jeep rode great when I had the RE 3.5" springs with the RE 4.5" kit as surfrider suggested.... And avoid the rough country lift like it is a rat carrying the plaque..

• i know 5 guys running the 3.5 inch kit with 33's and two of them(including me are running stock arms with no sye) i have fit 35's on it no prob. i would get the 3.5 basic with OME shocks and go from there.

X2

I believe I am one of the 5 that chris is referring to. I have the basic 3.5RE and I LOVE IT.
    The only thing I would do differently would be a better shock. I have the DT3000s that came with the kit from Red Rock 4x4
    They ride fine but I would be very interested to see what some Bilstiens or OMEs would do for my ride quality.

• X2

I believe I am one of the 5 that chris is referring to. I have the basic 3.5RE and I LOVE IT.
    The only thing I would do differently would be a better shock. I have the DT3000s that came with the kit from Red Rock 4x4
    They ride fine but I would be very interested to see what some Bilstiens or OMEs would do for my ride quality.

Just because you all love it, doesn't make it right....#1 the stock stamped control arms + 35's= disaster waiting to happen on the trail #2 No SYE and nearly 4.5" of lift= by by pinion bearing, unless you want to run a TC drop that is like an inch and a half long or bigger, your driveshaft will never be at the optimal operating angle......

The right way with that much lift is new control arms upper and lowers (lowers dont' necessarily need to be adjustable) new front and rear track-bars and an SYE

If I were to order it in importance and I wouldn't even consider running the RE 3.5 without at least 1 through 3

#1 SYE + adjustable rear uppers
    #2 New front track bar
    #3 Lower control arms
    #4 adjustable rear track bar (anything over 2" the rear bracket is a must so I am assuming it is already in place)
    #5 adjustable front uppers

I ran this set up before my long arms and it was one of the best riding jeeps I have ever been in...... even better than my long arms.... My only advice that I have stressed over and over again is do it right, do it once.. If I could have the almost 10 grand I wasted back on building my vechicle the wrong way I would be a happy man but at least others can learn from my "mistakes"

• define adjustable... if I get the adjustable front and back uppers to what lift can I put it too? I dont think that I will ever go to 6 inches but 4.5 maybe (slight possibility 5.5 long arms). I know I need the SYE but like everything else I need (axles, lockers... ) it will have to come next christmas.

by "upgradeable kit" does that mean that I can get the adjustable uppers and track bars and just buy new coils and lowers later if I go to 4.5-5.5" to save money?

I have the rest of my life to crawl, but I dont want to spend my retirement fund on it.

• Yes it does.

Lol.

• Krylon or Rustoleum. :innocent: You could do candy cane stripes! :o

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• So the final decisions have lead me to this setup. Does anyone have any input (good or bad) and most importantly, is there anything else I need to buy (Please GOD no, $$$$). I figured that this would be the best set up if I want to go to 35's later (save the most money). And keep in mind that the axles, SYE, and CV are coming next christmas (a must).

TJ 4.5" Super Flex Kit + DT3000 Shocks
    - Year of Vehicle 97 - 02 TJ
    - Options Swap to 3.5" Coil Springs
    - Options Bolt-On Rear Shock Relocators
    - Options OME Nitrocharger Shocks
    - (getting a rear adj track bar from someone else)

$1,542.85

According to rubiconexpress.com the RE7000 comes with this:

Components
    RE1142 ~ GEN2 DISCONNECTS 4.5"-7.5" TJ,
    RE1155 ~ SWAY BAR END LINKS REAR TJ
    RE1355 ~ COIL SPRINGS TJ 4.5" FRONT/PA
    RE1360 ~ COIL SPRINGS TJ 4.5" REAR/PAI
    RE1380 ~ BUMPSTOPS 2" FRONT LOWER
    RE1385 ~ BUMPSTOPS 2" TJ REAR UPPER
    RE1553 ~ BRAKE LINE SET SS FRONT 20"
    RE1600 ~ TRACK BAR, FRONT XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ
    RE1602 ~ TRACK BAR BRACKET TJ REAR W/CV
    RE3700 ~ CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER FIXED
    RE3780 ~ CONTROL ARM SF2 UPPER FT ADJUS
    RE3783 ~ CONTROL ARM SF2 UPPER REAR ADJ

It doesnt say anything about the transfercase drop, but it looks like its included (the 6 black circle thinggys up top?)

• Call Bob Supplee before ordering it. Sounds like you got everything you need there. Good choice in shocks also. I love my OME.
    The only thing I can say is shop it around a little bit. That price seems a little high to me.

Good luck and it looks like you're going to have a Merry Christmas. :up:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!