Grrr... wont stay in 4WD

• :cuss: Not sure why, but I have a heck of a time getting it to go in, and stay in 4WD. I put a 1" body lift on, and I'm not sure if that jacked anything up... It goes on when I pull up and wiggle, but sometimes goes out.. I was on the C&D canal yesterday and it took many attempts to get it to stick... 4WD Low is also tough... Any ideas? :bang:

• first off dont mention the C-word on here unless you want to have a huge flame up about legal wheeling and illegal wheeling. also the body lift messed up you linkage and you need to adjust it the kit should have come with a bracket to make this work.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• i agree. linkage needs some adjustment. if its poping out of 4wd, loosen the bolt and decrease the length a little.

• :cuss: Not sure why, but I have a heck of a time getting it to go in, and stay in 4WD. I put a 1" body lift on, and I'm not sure if that jacked anything up... It goes on when I pull up and wiggle, but sometimes goes out.. I was on the C&D canal yesterday and it took many attempts to get it to stick... 4WD Low is also tough... Any ideas? :bang:

There is no where legal at the C & D Canal that you could possibly need 4wd. Please don't have any of our club stickers on your jeep if your down there.
    Thank you and have a nice day :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• but the gravel roads are a great place to figure out how to shift into the different settings and see what it does. it's where I figured out how to get it into 4lo. lol

and I concur, probably the linkage is too loose right now.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I agree, nothing like trying a few small things out down there. if your not wheeling to hard that is what they are worried about. use to take my eagle down there just for that. how else would you know? :driving:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• there is no legal offroading at the canal, anywhere. but, the loose gravel on the main roads makes it safe on the transfercase to test the 4wd. that's all I was saying.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I wasn't wheeling at all really... just checking out where the gravel road went... I ended up at Chesapeake City at a gate that was closed and had to schlep 8 miles back to an entrance... I really was just testing the 4WD to make sure it worked before I went to the beach in a couple weeks... I'm mechanically challenged, so will probably take somewhere unless one of you guys wants to work for a case of beer...

Note: I refuse to be seen buying Milwaukee's Best, Piel's, or Busch.... So pick something respectable.

Also, if wheeling at the C&D is "not copasetic", how did all the ruts get in the big hills I saw... methinks that not everyone is playing by the rules...

• the ruts are mostly from the mud trucks and hunters... they keep hooking up chains to the jersey barriers and yanking them out of the way. well, and the FJ Cruiser club. lol

one of the mud trucks started a bad brush fire last year on the north side, a lot of fire company field units got beat up trying to fight the fire.

Jerry / Whatevah

• being an avid hunter of the C & D canal I also have to agree that there is no where to legally "Wheel" at the canal, however some of the "maintained" hill roads that connect the upper and lower roads are either very steep or rutted from rain runoff and I could certainly understand the need to use 4 wheel drive to either go up or down those sections of road. Personally, the only time that I have ever seen the need to use the hill roads was after a successful deer hunt...(it's easier to drive then drag)

• I think the general rule of thumb when it comes to the gravel roads is
    "If the governor can't drive her car on it, neither can you" or something like that. I think it was Joo that originally said that after he asked what the particular rules were.
    Most activity that goes on at the canal is illegal anyway whether it be by 4x4s, suicides, drugs, homicide . . .

• can we stay on topic i do believe a moderator needs to step in the question was on the 4wd low not staying engaged

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Do you have any trail damage anywhere near your transfer case? I know when my tranny skid was dented up agains my tranny, my TJ would pop out of 4lo fairly easily, once we banged out the dent I haven't had anymore problems.

I don't have my bl on yet though, so I don't have any clue how that could affect it.

• I don't have my bl on yet though, so I don't have any clue how that could affect it.

What happens is, the body lift raises only the body and not the drive train (of course). Therefore, the hole in the floor the shifter words through is raised and will not allow the shifter to go into position fully. If the t-case is not fully in gear, once a load is applied it will pop out of gear.

You just need to open up the hole in the floor a little so that the shifter won't hit it when all the way back or all the way forward.

......or raise the pivot point on the shifter a little which will decrease the amount of throw the shifter has. I did that on my O.D. shifter.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• So... 2 different possibilities... adjust linkage, expand the shifter hole....
    I'm thinking the linkage as 4 high is right in the middle and it has no problem moving to that position... Even 4 lo seemed
    possible... I'll have the dealer check it out this week I guess... I need to have them adjust the computer for my tire size anyway...

Thanks for the input...

• So... 2 different possibilities... adjust linkage, expand the shifter hole....
    I'm thinking the linkage as 4 high is right in the middle and it has no problem moving to that position... Even 4 lo seemed
    possible... I'll have the dealer check it out this week I guess... I need to have them adjust the computer for my tire size anyway...

Thanks for the input...

Let me know how much they charge to adjust the computer for tire size if you don't mind.

Thanks for the input...

I'm guessing the linkage bracket thingy that someone mentioned adjusts the linkage so that it would fit better in the shifter hole. A simple check on the hole is to remove the boot and shift it into each position. If you see it hitting the edge of the hole (whether from underneath or on top) then enlarge the hole. A simple jig saw or even a good file will do the trick.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• You just need to open up the hole in the floor a little so that the shifter won't hit it when all the way back or all the way forward...

NO - this is a "CJ" fix.

A simple check on the hole is to remove the boot and shift it into each position. If you see it hitting the edge of the hole (whether from underneath or on top) then enlarge the hole. A simple jig saw or even a good file will do the trick.

again, NO - this is a "CJ" fix! there are significant differences in the linkage between a TJ and a CJ. a basic 1" body lift on a tj should in no way need any sort of cutting around the transfer case linkage. there is a bracket mounted to your TJ's tub that will keeps the linkage oriented in a certain position as it passes through the tub - so any sort of cutting would be a bad thing.

...you need to adjust it the kit should have come with a bracket to make this work.

chris is right about needing to adjust your linkage. if the kit didn't come with a different bracket (many don't) then you only need to adjust the position of the clip on your linkage. the reason you're popping out of 4lo is that the increased distance between your shifter handle and the transfer case has increased (by the amount of your body lift) and is now putting more tension on the linkage. you need to reseat your transfer case handle in 2hi, loosen up the linkage clip so as to relieve that added tension and allow it to find a new "neutral" position, and then retighten the clip. i think all that is needed is a 13mm wrench for the clip.

this picture (borrowed from http://www.4x4xplor.com) gives you a decent view of the linkage.

the arrow points to the clip that you need to adjust. sometimes it can only be 1/4" of adjustment to keep the transfer case sitting in the detent. once you get under there and look at it carefully it'll all make sense - good luck!
    chris

• put the square shifter bracket with 5 holes that came with the body lift on and you should be fine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!