Any way to help with my distributor and deep water?

• So I went mudding on Sunday with my new lift+tires. Tires were amazing I love the BFG A/T's, they worked amazing in the deep mud. Now my question is, all I really get into with my buddies is deep mud and water. This has happened twice to me before, I go into a mudhole and got the whole front end wet as usual, and water gets into the distributor and the engine hiccups and dies, and wont turn over until you take off the distributor cap and dry that all out. I have a 98 TJ 2.5L and the distributor sits in the middle of the engine bay ish. Anyway, its really open to water hitting it and messing things up, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do or buy to cover it up or move it or something, since im not much of a rock crawler and deep mud is usually all I am into. Any of you guys done anything about this, or know of anything I could buy to fix the problem. Thanks

• i used to have a couple buddies who participate in the gumboro mud bogs the best thing i could tell you is to make almost like a shield out of some thin gauge aluminum that would help

• Spray some WD40 inside it.

Yea I did that the first time it happened, but didnt help me out this time ;D...yea I was thinking that making something shield or bag like would be my only option.

• how big a lift and tires you go and we will have to go wheeling at my buddies property soon o and i think jcwhitney has distributer boots to protect from water

• maybe some light silicone around the base? i would magyver it myself... a bag and a zip tie. easy to remove when needed. :driving:

• how big a lift and tires you go and we will have to go wheeling at my buddies property soon o and i think jcwhitney has distributer boots to protect from water

I'm runnin 33s BFG A/T's with a RE 2.5 budget boost, and the JKS 1.25" body lift nirvana. If you can find that actual part you said earlier, that would be tight. If not it looks like im gonna get creative :innocent:

• good ol mud

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• take 1 ziploc bag and one zip tie and mcgyver it

I have the same jeep (1998 4banger). I basicly did this. I have a bag with duct tape around the spark plug wires and under the CAP. Its been there since Dec. Ive been to the pines and several deep water crossings. It works! Just somthing to think about...Plastic melts and catches fire. Be careful on how you do this. So far I havent had an issue.....

• I have the same jeep (1998 4banger). I basicly did this. I have a bag with duct tape around the spark plug wires and under the CAP. Its been there since Dec. Ive been to the pines and several deep water crossings. It works! Just somthing to think about...Plastic melts and catches fire. Be careful on how you do this. So far I havent had an issue.....

What kind of bag are we talking about here??

• dude i wouldmt put a bag around it id just take the cap off run a bead of rtv around it n there u go its pretty water tight if u do it right

99&#39; tj SE with 4 chipmunks workin&#39; hard under the hood<br />32 x 11.50 poopcomp m/t<br />4 inch super lift<br />teraflex quick dickie&#39;s

• Seems like I could make something work with this. Its a distributor boot for a Mustang 5.0. Gonna get my hands on one and see how it goes ;D ;D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!