CDN M101 Trailer Build

• I figured I would start a build thread on this as there was a bit of interest in these so here goes. I am reposting some of my earlier info as a starting point to consolidate all the info into a single thread.

General Info - Before I get into specifics, expect to pay between $800 and $1,500 for one of these. And like most things, you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones tend to be completely stock and genearlly need some work. The one I picked up I got for $1,350 and has been almost completely redone including 5 on 4.5 hubs with 16” rims as well as LED tail lights. If you can be patient, the deals are out there. But, for my timeframe, I couldn’t wait. And it seems to me that because of the low availability (less than 2,000 made), the biggest issue I had was finding a good one within a reasonable driving distance. Any drive 6 hrs or less and you should definitely consider it based on what I have seen!

CDN M101 vs US M416 - A couple people asked me why the CDN M101 trailer instead of the US M416? Well, there are really two important factors. The CDN M101 is at worst 20 years newer, and it is actually better built in terms of materials and construction. You simply aren’t going to find many good M416’s outside of the Southwest US that are in any sort of decent condition. The M101’s are fairly available in the Northeast (since many have been sold at surplus in Ontario) and parts can still be had. Here is an article that addresses this question better than I have - http://www.jeepexpeditions.org…an_m101_m416_trailers.php.

Trailer Sources - Enough already, who has one for sale???

Source #1 Tom Fitzgerald - The first source I have is Tom Fitzgerld (Tom at EarlysvilleHFS dot com). He had 3 trailers left (last I knew). One has a better body than the other two but the running gear is solid on all three per our conversations. Now, all three are projects in that they need to be cleaned up and some require more work than others, but they all appeared to be a good platform to start with.
    Pictures here - http://tfitz4-foolinabout.smug…915_LGLLy#481328506_CYXU9
    Tom is located in Earlysville, VA which oddly enough, is almost directly on the path to GWNF. It would probably take you another 30 minutes to visit him and check out these trailers in person.

Source #2 Yahoo! M101CDN Group - The second source I have is the Yahoo! Group M101CDN located here - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/M101CDN/
    This group is an absolute wealth of ideas and information on these trailers and for sale posts are pretty common. Right now there is what looks to be a very nice one for sale in Tennessee http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/pts/1161057123.html.

Source #3 Craigslist - Always a good place to look although I have found it to be pretty dry the past few months. But I would definitely look there on occasion.
    Where I got Mine – Well, I posted up on the Yahoo! Group and was contacted a couple days later by a fellow selling his. It was a pretty chance situation but worked out perfectly for me. The trailer turned out to be everything I was hoping for and I met a great Jeep Guy/Firefighter in the process.

Other Info - I also have a ton of info on building these trailers up. They are obviously very versatile and customizable, much like a Jeep. If you need info or ideas, start with the Yahoo Group, but also check the ih8mud forums (http://forum.ih8mud.com/) as they have a lot of activity around the M416/M101 trailers and some amazing build threads. One of the best mods I have seen is a design for an aluminum lid with hinges and gas struts. Adding that really makes a nice platform. I also intend to do a CJ tailgate so that the cargo is accessible while the lid is down. There are a million smaller mods such as adding a propane source, 12V source, OBA, Roof Top Tent, awning, cook top counter, watertank (under bed, over axle), shower system, etc.

For those folks wanting to see mine in person, I am around for the next couple weeks so just PM me and we can arrange something.

• Delaware Registration, Titling, & Inspection

So before I went to get the trailer, I went to DMV to get a temporary registration. All they needed was a serial number and approximate weight. Since it was from NY, no title was required as NY does not require one for such a small trailer. So I got my temp tag and picked it up.

Once back here, all I had to do was run through the recheck lane to have it weighed and check the lights. The data plate had fallen off so I do have to go through the additional step of having it tagged as home-built and getting a VIN stamped on it. No big deal for that and no issues with the inspection. I believe in the end, it will be registered as a 3,000lb trailer. So far so good. Once the registration process is complete, I will start working on it.

• The Build Plan - For Now :innocent:

It already has the 5 on 4.5 hub conversion done but I do have a few additional mods.

[li]Fabricate a metal lid[/li]
      [li]Modify the rear so I can use a CJ tailgate for access when the lid is down[/li]
      [li]315x75r16 tires on the wheels I already have[/li]
      [li]SOA to give me the clearance for the bigger tires[/li]
      [li]New bumpstops and shocks to also accommodate the suspension changes[/li]
      [li]Thule rack installed on the lid to cary a roof top tent or whatever else I want[/li]
      [li]2" hitch in the rear to carry a bike rack[/li]
      [li]Addition of a small lockable tool storage bin on the front of the trailer[/li]
      [li]Add some adjustable LED area lights for some camp illumination[/li]

None of these items are too tough as I have tried to keep this a project I could complete mainly on my own and in a reasonable amount of time.

• Looking forward to effing with that damn thing... How long do you think it will be in my garage? HAHA

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• This was at the annual state auction up behind Dover DMV a few years ago I forgot to go back for it. It was 1964ish. It wold for $450. :bang: :bang:

TNJ Murray (gov suprus behind dover downs) bought it and was selling it for $1200.

There are still some out there. I saw 4 while living in York, PA.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Might give me some motivation to get my trailer out of the shed ('55 homebuilt 'copy' of a military trailer)...did a SOA, rewire, and LEDs on it a couple years ago but stopped using it after getting my truck and robbed the 2 new 35" trxus for Jen's jeep. Look forward to seeing the project! :up:

--Ian

• Ohh man we are heading to Tennessee this weekend to see my cousin and his family. Chattanooga, TN is only like an hour & 1/2 out of the way on our way home. That thing is sweet! Sure would make camping in the Jeep a lot easier.

• I know where oneis but not sure if the owneris selling

I founf in when I was looking for llinyeehe bought one they are 4116s

• Delaware Registration, Titling, & Inspection

So before I went to get the trailer, I went to DMV to get a temporary registration. All they needed was a serial number and approximate weight. Since it was from NY, no title was required as NY does not require one for such a small trailer. So I got my temp tag and picked it up.

Once back here, all I have to do is run through the recheck lane to have it weighed and check the lights. The data plate had fallen off so I do have to go through the additional step of having it tagged as home-built and getting a VIN stamped on it. BS No big deal for that and no issues with the inspection. I believe in the end, it will be registered as a 3,000lb trailer. So far so good. Once the registration process is complete, I will start working on it.

FYI, they are liars and/or just plain stupid at DMV, in case you didn't know that. ;D After 2.5 hours at DMV, with everything I was told I needed in-hand, and speaking with 3 different people, it became clear that I was out of luck and nobody wanted to or had any intention of helping me, because that involved making a decision. I propose the State pay cut only effects DelDOT and DMV employees and make it, oh, say 50%?

Moving to plan B.

EDIT: Going to build/fab an M101 from a variety of parts and register as home built. Other than the tub, it is pretty cheap to put one together. ;D

• Ive ran into several trailer issues in the past few years. Usaully if they cant read any numbers on the trailer you will have to bring it to the State police auto theft unit and they will inspect it and stamp new numbers on it. Howerver you case may be different, as its never been titled in this state, if at all. As for tagging it as homebuilt make sure you keep every reciept, as they are very strict now on tagging homebuilts. I had two trailers laying around that i wanted to make one nice one out of but couldnt produce reciepts, or titles for either. Since both of the trailers were obviously not homeade that made it that much harder. The Auto theft unit told me that they couldnt do anything unless i had extencive reciepts for all the parts, ie....bill of sale, tires lights, tounge, decking etc...... My .02

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• So just finished the SOA last night and with 315's, the lunette will sit at 27" which levels-up to the rig nicely. I just have to fab some shock mounts for the axle tube. Next will be the tailgate mod and lid.

• Tag in Maine, call it a day. PO Box with a forwarding slip.

x2, this is the only way I will ever tag a trailer. It is cheap and easy. I needed no paper work, no inspection, nothing. I used this site: http://www.mbi-trailers.com/

I was trying to get tags for a trailer that my friend let me use indefinitely, but wouldn't give me the title because he was using the tags on another trailer. I called these guys up and he said since it's older than 10 years I didn't need anything, I could fax him a letter, and CC number and he'd get the tags to me in a couple days. Worked out great.

• Brian tagged the trailer in Maine a few weeks ago and is working on getting it all ready to be tagged/titled in his home state.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• So it is time for an update.

I just ordered a bunch of LED's and associated parts that will satisfy all my lighting needs and allow for a nice clean installation.

Great Shop, Nice Folks - http://stores.shop.ebay.com/R-and-P-Carriages-Trailer-Sales

A buddy of mine also just got done designing a lid/rack so after I review it with him, he is gonna build it for me, and we will install it along with some 315x75R16 tires I have lined up, on my next Upstate NY trip. I also may use a set of Xenon flat rear flares for the trailer flares. I still have to finalize the tailgate design but that is getting close as well.

I even found a good quality and reasonably priced roof top tent so I will order that soon. http://www.campinglab.com/carpatecho02.html

I hope to have the bulk of the work done by the middle of October so I can head out on a camping trip and enjoy the Fall weather. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saranac_Lake,_New_York

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!