surf tag questions

• im new to this. and have a few questions. i ant to get a suf tag for my jeep now, where is the best place to get it?

when going out on to the beach with the jeep, what is a good tire presure to put it at? (i have a few friends that say i dont even need to drop the tire pressure in the jeep, but im not sure.)

what all needs to be in the vehicle when i go on to the beach?

• any state park office. the closest place to me where i got mine is lums pond. I wouldn't air down, hell most of the time i dont even put it in 4 wheel drive. you have to have a jack, a board, a shovel, and a tow rope

• any state park office. the closest place to me where i got mine is lums pond. I wouldn't air down, hell most of the time i dont even put it in 4 wheel drive. you have to have a jack, a board, a shovel, and a tow rope

And a low pressure gauge. Any state park office , some department stores sell the tags. You can get them online as well.
    When you get the tag they will give you a list of items you need .
    I don't air down at CHSP but do at IRI.

• I get my tags from Eastern Marine in Newark. Air pressure depends on what tire tread you have and how wide the tires are, along with the beach conditions that day. Generally, wider tires do better without needing to air down.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I get my tags from Eastern Marine in Newark. Air pressure depends on what tire tread you have and how wide the tires are, along with the beach conditions that day. Generally, wider tires do better without needing to air down.

Also depends greatly on how loaded the Jeep is.

Flotation is all about the footprint and PSI on the sand, not just in the tires.

Tires with stiffer sidewalls tend not to flex and bulge as much as tires with softer sidewalls, so they may require lower pressures to achieve the same footprint.

• You can get the tag online...I always air-down with my loaded SUV (Mountaineer) to about 16 PSI. I do not air-down with my wrangler. Use 4wheel low and start out in 2nd gear, never had a problem...sand seems the most soft at Faithful Steward near IRI

• The tag thing has been covered, so ill throw my 2cents in for tire pressure. I run 15psi or less because it doesn't work the engine and trans as hard. The Cherokees have a problem with overheating at times and I like to keep the load as low as possible. It also allows you to pop out of the ruts when they get rough without much trouble. I can drive without airing down but its much easier at lower psi, I'm also out allot at night by myself and don't enjoy getting stuck.

Also make sure you have the supplies listed on the tag permit with you and acceptable in case a ranger stops to check your gear, they seem to appreciate not having to waist too much time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!