clayton vs. under cover fab skid plates

• Clayton Skid System:
    http://claytonoffroad.com/prod…ath/17_47/products_id/213

Under Cover Fab System (I would choose the Ultra High Clearance 1/4):
    http://undercoverfab.com/trans…er-skid-plate-system.html

Goals:
    1. To protect my drive line components as much as possible. Winner -> Tie?.
    2. I want to maximize ground clearance. Winner -> UCF?
    3. I would prefer to spend less. Winner -> UCF.
    4. Reputation of manufacturer. Winner -> Clayton?

Questions:
    1. How far below the frame does the Clayton skid hang?
    2. Does anyone know if the UCF system will work with a Clayton Long Arm Lift (future mod i am set on) w/o trimming?
    3. Anybody have any experience with either of these or advice?

thanks

• The Clayton kit give the equivalent of like a 1.5" tuck for the undercarriage. Gotta be damn close to what UCF gives. Not to be a Clayton fanboy (I have that skid system and the LA), and only having seen the website pictures, the UCF system looks like junk compared to Claytons skids. You add the options in to make them sorta equivalent and I'll bet the price is the same if not cheaper on the Clayton. I have supported my entire Jeep by the point of a rock on the skid and it took no damage other than needing a little black paint.

In a nutshell, I would say that UCF may win as the cheaper option but Clayton ties clearance and wins all other categories. Saving ~$120 on probably the most important piece of armor is not high on my to-do list. :)

• I have the UCF one...love the clearance...don't love that it bowed up after 3-4 wheeling trips. I started trying to put a warranty claim in on it but haven't gotten back to the last email they sent me. One of these days I need to put it on someone's press and see if it will bend back.

What thickness is it?

3/16" or 1/4" ?

• I have the UCF 1/4 in skid for the YJ, great clearence and seems strong so far. But have yet to abuse it. Over all good price and nice product. When I bought it I also got free shipping.
    Cj-

• Long arms with 4" of lift is overkill IMHO.

i dissagree. i think a long arm with the correct geometry will help a tj with any lift. of course you have to balance money with capibility. you certainly dont "need" it, but it will make it a better wheeler. with the arms being so short in a tj they really do effect performance.

aaron

• i dissagree. i think a long arm with the correct geometry will help a tj with any lift. of course you have to balance money with capibility. you certainly dont "need" it, but it will make it a better wheeler. with the arms being so short in a tj they really do effect performance.

aaron

They can cause clearance issues with smaller tires. A Jeep with 33's will wheel better with a short arm.

Back on the skid....I have helped install a couple Clayton skids and they are very well designed. The ability to remove the skid and still have the case attached to the cross member is awesome. I wish I had that for changing oil in my T-Case.

• They can cause clearance issues with smaller tires. A Jeep with 33's will wheel better with a short arm.

Back on the skid....I have helped install a couple Clayton skids and they are very well designed. The ability to remove the skid and still have the case attached to the cross member is awesome. I wish I had that for changing oil in my T-Case.

Exactly.

Case in point: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_2xla.html

LOL. You would be dragging those things over every rock while stock Jeeps drive right by you.

And back to skids, I have no doubt the Clayton is top notch.

I'm going with the UCF because it suits my needs and provides at least another 1.5" of clearance over the Clayton.

• don't be a weener, u don't need armor.let u'r jeep run free like scottsmen in a kilt with out undies!

you are a brave man.

does anybody have a pic straight from the side showing how much below the frame the clayton hangs? maybe a before and after comparing to the factory skid?

• you are a brave man.
    does anybody have a pic straight from the side showing how much below the frame the clayton hangs? maybe a before and after comparing to the factory skid?

Somewhere in here I posted the measured height to the skid as well as a picture. Would have to find it though...

• Can't offer much on the Clayton clearance, but the UCF is phenomenal.

Especially on '03-'06 TJ's.

Here's the stock shovel:

4.5" at the lowest spot.

UCF Ultra High Clearance skid:

Pretty much <1.25" all around.

That's over a 3" gain.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!