Dreaded Death Wobble... "Deadhorse" ?

• All of a sudden I've got the DDW at 45-50 mph. I checked the track bar, (JKS adjustable) and everything seems gut-n-tight. There is some fluid on the R\C steering stabilizer. There seems to be no hitch or hiccups with the steering. I'm going to crawl under and check the tightness of the nuts on the trackbar tomorrow. Any other ideas?

• Check your control arms mount bolts to make sure they don't have any play in them. Maybe swap front and rear tires too if you're feeling energetic as out-of-balance tires can contribute to the wobble too. I know you said the steering is fine, but have you been laying underneath while another person moves the steering back and forth to look for things that may be jostling around? That sometimes can help a lot.

• don't just check the tightnes, check the holes in the track bar brackets,see if they are oveled or enlarged.causz even if they'r tight if the holes are enlarged you get wobble at speed

• ... everything seems gut-n-tight....

How did you check for tightness? Checking things by trying to jiggle them by hand is ineffective. One can simply not apply enough force to replicate the stresses put on the components from driving.

My preferred method - and I've had the need to do this often - requires two people. Have a helper get behind the wheel and start the vehicle. Climb under and carefully inspect each potential culprit for looseness by watching them while your helper turns the steering wheel back-and-forth. The tires on solid ground will provide plenty of resistance so that any loose components will reveal themselves. If the brackets or mounts are ovalled or enlarged, you will discover that as well.

For DW, I check components in order of likeliness: trackbar - both ends; control arms - both ends; TREs on both the tie-rods and draglink; ball joints; and steering box. You should see no play in any of these.

This method will not help diagnose bad hub bearings. For this, make sure the vehicle is in Park and the steering is locked, and jack the wheel off the ground. Grab the tire with one hand at 12:00 and the other at 6:00. Alternately push and pull. Any play means bad hub bearings or ball joints - but you've already checked the ball joints using the method above, which means it's the hub bearings.

Of course, these procedures will not help determine if the trouble is the tires - whether it be uneven wear or out-of-balance. The same goes for alignment. My experience has been that tires and/or alignment are rarely the cause of DW, but they could be, so should be checked as well.

There are some other possibilities, but the above will likely find the cause.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• There is some fluid on the R\C steering stabilizer.

It is a common misconception that a bad steering stabilizer causes DW.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Thanks John, thats how I did it. And I do know that the steering stabilizer 99.5% of the time is not the reason. I even used the wifes '04 Rubicon as a comparison, I'm leaning towards control arm bushings right now. But will dig depper into it this weekend.

• Is it death wobble, or just a shimmy in the steering wheel? easiest way to check is to see if there is funny smelling chocolate pudding in your underwear. If so it was DW, if not, it was probably not

check your alignment, most times DW is caused by poor alignment. aim for 1/8" toed in

• Very well put on both posts, John. :up:

Follow his directions exactly and most likely you'll find the culprit.

Awww, shucks. ::)

~ JD

• Is it death wobble, or just a shimmy in the steering wheel? easiest way to check is to see if there is funny smelling chocolate pudding in your underwear.

~ JD

• Thanks John, thats how I did it. And I do know that the steering stabilizer 99.5% of the time is not the reason. I even used the wifes '04 Rubicon as a comparison, I'm leaning towards control arm bushings right now. But will dig depper into it this weekend.

Just to clarify, 100% of the time, the steering stabilizer is not the cause. A properly functioning steering stabilizer can however counteract and mask the issues causing the DW. It is a band-aid, and sometimes it can be a very effective one, but it is simply treating the symptoms, not the actual issue.

• Is it death wobble, or just a shimmy in the steering wheel? easiest way to check is to see if there is funny smelling chocolate pudding in your underwear. If so it was DW, if not, it was probably not

check your alignment, most times DW is caused by poor alignment. aim for 1/8" toed in

Ummm that would have been a certain, however my sphincter puckered up so tight, that I had to pull the underwear out from between my cheeks with a pair of vice grips.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!