Another place to wheel?

• Someone told me about Green Ridge State Forest in western Maryland. I checked out the site and it appears that you can take a Jeep off roading there along with 4 wheel ATVs and bicycles. Certain trails for different vehicles and some are shared. But they may just be dirt roads.

It's about 2 hours from my house and closer than GWNF but there are more restrictions there. Your vehicle has to be registered and you need a permit to primitive camp. I emailed the office to see if I can get the fees for all of it. I ordered the Forest map online.

Has anyone else been there or heard about it? I was thinking a taking a ride out there this weekend and checking it out.

Patti

• :hmm: If you sleep in your Jeep is that considered "camping" or "vagrancy"? Is the fine for vagrancy less than the permit to camp? :rolleyes:

I think a friend of mine has made that trip with the PAJeeps. I'll shoot him an email.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Green Ridge?? I have camped at Greenbrier (sp) out near Hagerstown? Not sure if they are one in the same or not :shrug: Not much help!! Although the AT is close for anyone that likes to do some hiking!

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Here's my friend's reply to my email:

Been there 3 times. Twice with PA Jeeps, once with B4W at least 4-5 years ago. They have a dedicated OHV trail, but it is not very exciting. Most of the rest is dirt/gravel forest roads. There is one stretch of power line trail that was open access.... or at least we didn't see any "keep out" signs. We found one good hill climb hidden on a spur road the one trip. It's a nice pretty area to camp and wonder around.

B4W is going down there this weekend. DEJA should send someone along (ask first) to learn the trails and how to respect the relationship the off-road community has with the forest management there.

Sounds like a good sight seeing trip. It's been a number of years since he has been there so perhaps it's a little different.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ...and also ask around the group for a comparison to GWNF. To most serious Jeepers, GWNF would be a "sight seeing trip" as well, but it is closer for stocker rides. If no one goes this time around, could we get on a friendly email list or board thread to know when their next trip there is? If I had more notice, I'd have gone. Patti, could I crash on your couch?

DrJ

BTW, I've been talking to a guy online who has made a web site of GWNF wheeling. He has said that each year the park seems to close another trail to Jeeps. This year it might just be Dry River, but nothing official yet. We may need an alternative to GWNF for the stocker ride soon.

• Quote from "DrJ"

He has said that each year the park seems to close another trail to Jeeps. This year it might just be Dry River, but nothing official yet. We may need an alternative to GWNF for the stocker ride soon.

Or some clubs need to start talking with the forest service out there to try to prevent trail closures. It has been done successfully at other forests. I believe Snow Shoe was one of them and it has become pretty much open to only a few known clubs who have done trail work out there to gain the trust of the forest service.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!