88 YJ Carb/Idle Troubles

• Hi all,

After an extended break from jeeps (about 1.5 yrs) we recently picked up an 88 YJ heap-a-junk. 4.2l w/ a ba10/crap. The truck runs OK and for the $900 price tag wasn't too bad overall. I even drove it 60 miles back down everything from highways to back roads. However I noticed while driving and still now that the idle absolutely sucks. Every time I come to a stop or bring the RPMs down by even coasting, the jeep stutters and stalls. Furthermore, it is now difficult to even keep it running unless i keep a foot on the gas, keeping the RPMs up. When it dies and I push down on the throttle linkage, white smoke flows back up through the carb. When I can start it and keep it running for a bit, it is with the idle screw ALL THE WAY in, idling around 1200 RPM, however even then it will start to stumble, slow down, then pick back up etc etc. When it starts up there is a very slight white smoke coming from the tailpipe, and what I thought was oil was blowing out of the tailpipe. However it seems to mix well with water and washes off my hands easily so it may be dirty condensation. Here are the other diagnostics I have tried before coming to you guys:

- Took off and completely cleaned venturi cluster, as the description of this problem is basically EXACTLY what I am experiencing. No help
    - Basic check for vacuum leaks. I can't keep it running very long so I couldn't do a thurough check, and I have the air cleaner off so all of those vacuum hoses are clamped shut. But there may be a vacuum leak that I haven't seen yet.
    - The metering pins in the stepper motor are constantly all the way out, as in I can see the whole thing blocking the hole they are in (so all the way forward?) I tried unplugging the stepper motor but it didn't help the idle at all.
    - The carb lets out white smoke if I open the throttle after the engine stalls
    - The dizzy cap, rotor, and wires look to be relatively new. The coil does not.

I am planning on upgrading to a motorcraft carb in the next month or so, as soon as I get the money. At that time I'll try to eliminate as many vacuum lines as possible. I also have a spare carb the guy had laying around, and picked up a $10 rebuild kit at pep boys, figuring if nothing else at least I'll get the experience of rebuilding the carb. Just wondering what else I should try with it, and what solutions I should go about first. Thanks guys!

• Could be the computer is crapping out. It controls the carb functions and smog control stuff. The white smoke coming out of the carb could be fuel vapor. Since you've cleaned the Venturis already and all of th other stuff I'm at a loss. Only thing I could suggest at the moment is to rebuild/replace the carb. You can take the ignition control module off and have it tested at autozone. Only other thing I'd suggest is to do the Nutter Bypass. I bought a remanned Carter carb and then did the NB and haven't had any carb issues since. The Team Rush upgrade with an HEI dizzy is next on the list of mods I want to do. If ya want a hand shoot me a PM.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Could be water in the gas working it's way through the system.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd try the nutter bypass first. You can find it the procedure online, it's pretty simple to do, and reversible if you cut the wires leaving enough to reconnect. I did mine and it made all the difference in the world. Be aware that you're gonna lose the emissions system, which in the case of the Carter Air Pulse mess just means the engine will run cleaner. Good luck!

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna try the nutter bypass first seeing as it's free, at least until I get my Motorcraft. I'll also do the Team Rush mod soon, as it seems to benefit some people. My main thing is getting these vacuum wires sorted out and to try and get rid of these crappy emissions pieces. From what I've researched once I move to the Motorcraft, as long as I keep everything clean I should be good for emissions and even if not, there's always the $200 waiver!

• good deal. picked up team rush components yesterday. will do both today. also got a great deal on a motorcraft 2100 from a guy. used but in working order, w/ adapter and airbox only $50 shipped. Has the 1.08 venturis as well.

• I got my 84 cj through emissions, almost passed with a hollowed out cat converter. All with being nuttered the weber 32/36 made a huge difference. I had to adjust it to get through then readjust for best performance afterwards.

• Got everything all squared away! Pulled out and reset the dizzy. Between the timing, venturi cleaning, nutter mod, and team rush upgrade as well as deleting almost all my vacuum hoses, the little truck purrs like a kitten!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!