Transmission Help

• The nice thing is that the flat part under the keyless chuck gives you a space to be able to apply pressure to the bit as all the gearing is internal. I was putting a good amount of pressure behind the bit to drill into the block and it never bound up once.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• So now I have a new problem!!! One of the bolt holes for the oil pan, front of block right behind the timing chain, is stripped out. :bang: best thing I can think to do is drill it out to 5/16 and tap it out. Current size is 1/4". Problem is all of the steering crap is in the way so I can't get my drill in there. Anyone know an easier way to do this? I swear if it isn't one thing it's another!

Why didn't you just Hecicoil it?

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Why didn't you just Hecicoil it?

Because even though I've heard of this and understand the basic concept of it, I've never done or even seen anyone do this. They actually had Hcoils @ HF but I shyed away from it. Plus I've heard they're not as strong as a threaded hole though I have no 1st hand experience. Stuck with what I knew I could do.

• I'll fix the jeep, you can watch my rugrats.

I would've said bring 'em and my wife could watch them and they could play with my kids but they were all gone when I got home.

I did manage to get the oilpan back on, new filter and new oil, matched up the flywheel and torque converter then made an alignment mark, put a 2nd heavy coat of Rustoluem on the cooler lines, flushed the intercooler (PIA) and the one original line, traced out a new inspection plate cover on a thicker piece of aluminum (formerly a parking sign) and roughly cut out. Then I spent about 2 hours cleaning up and organizing the shed and my tools. I've been forgetting for the last 2 weeks to order the rear xfer case oil seal but it should be in from Qtec today. Big thanks to Jeff for getting my (very late!) order out asap.

• Finished my inspection cover last night. Fits up pretty well though I still need to drill out the bolt holes. I saved the template I made in case anyone who's missing theirs or needs to make one needs it.

• Okay.... I'm looking for some help with installing the trans back into the Jeep. I've gotten everything as far as I can go before actually reinstalling it. I'm looking for not only physical help to install it but preferably someone who has done this before and can walk me through the process. I just want to cover all my bases to ensure I don't screw this up. I believe I have the torque conv seated properly (3 detents in) but not sure on whether it was required to be filled with ATF first. The instructional I got from the shop was a bit fuzzy and I don't remember everything the tech was scrolling off to me. Also I'm not sure on how to properly adjust the TV once it's all hooked back up. The preferable (warmer) days are going to be tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. Friday and Monday would have to be after work (3p). I can do Saturday too but it'll be cold. I'm providing food and non-alcoholic beverages. Anyone who's willing to lend a hand please text or PM me. 302-seven five zero-0338

• You want to fill the torque converter with fluid before installing it onto the Tran input shaft. Install the trans. Lining up the holes for the torque converter bolts is the worst part. IIRC the TF999 bolt holes are not evenly spaced so it will only go one way. Get one lined up and install the bolt, using a socket spin the engine over (make sure the trans is not in park) and check alignment on the other holes. Install the rest of the TC bolts. I think you know how to finished it up from here. Make sure you lube up the rear output seal before installing the t-case.

• You are correct sir... the bolt holes are offset and will only go on one way. I think they did that for balancing issues IIRC. I took the liberty of lining the torque conv and flywheel while they were out of the Jeep and making alignment marks. This way I don't have to fight with it later. The torque conv is easy enough to remove, fill and then re-install.

The tech from Deltrans was scrolling off all this stuff about spacing for the torque conv and flywheel and then putting 4/5 qts in and starting it for 20-30 secs and then refilling and then letting it warm up and then topping off..... he was going so fast that I don't remember it all. I was thinking, "It wasn't this hard to remove... why all the steps and jargon and technical stuff I don't understand to reinstall?"

His tip about removing the flywheel and then lining up the torque conv was a good one. I read to not use the mounting bolts to draw the trans to the engine. The torque converter will space itself against the flywheel because of the raised mounting tabs. That will also space the torque conv correctly on the oil pump as it won't have any space to move once the trans is bolted to the engine and then the flywheel to the TC, correct?.... :shrug:

The only thing I don't have a clue about is the TV adjustment....

• FYI my tc to flywheel bolts are symmetrical and I can install it to any rotational position . just hook the trans to the motor, spin the tc and bolt on it up. Fill it up with 5 quarts and run motor in neutral for 20 min. Check fluid level while running. Its really not that complicated

• Progress made Friday and yesterday! I'm hoping to have the rest done today after work.

-Double checked my alignment marks for flywheel and TC
    -Reinstalled flywheel to crank... had to run to Autozone to rent a torque wrench as mine only goes to 85 lb/ft and I needed to crank the bolts down to 105... I was tempted to sacrifice the $100 deposit and keep the wrench but fought the urge to add to the toolbox
    -Torqued the oilpan bolts to correct spec (forgot to follow up on that after installing the pan)
    -Filled TC with ATF then reinstalled into trans
    -Permanently installed the hose barb into the vent mod
    -Marked each hole and it's matching bolt on the TC... probably overkill but with one of the holes having been helicoiled I'm not taking any chances
    -Installed transmission.... Ah Dios Mio!!! was that a chore! First I strapped the trans to the tray I used to remove it then rolled it out to the driveway. Set the trans/tray combo down on a dolly to wheel it under the Jeep but it was too tall to clear the frame. Next I set the trans onto the jack and tried to roll it under... still too tall. Next I unstrapped it from the tray, set it on a moving blanket and drug the trans under the Jeep. Went and got Dawn to help and glad I did b/c I'd never have gotten this in by myself. She ran the jack under the Jeep while I got the trans positioned on the jack. As she cranked the jack I tried to line it up with the engine. No go so she lowered it down, I leveled out the engine and set a stand under it. She cranked it back up but we were still a little off. So I put stands under the trans and she pulled the jack out. We tried to wiggle it into position while it was on the stands but it started slipping off of them. So in my infinite wisdom, I decided to just let the trans rest on me. Luckily I had a few layers on so the trans mount bolts were only pinching a bit instead of me having an appendectomy. :rolleyes: So as she had the 2 mounting bolts in hand I lifted that beotch up off my chest and got it in place on the mounting sleeves. Good thing too b/c that would've probably been a one shot deal. I had to use a few patented pelvic thrusts to push the trans fwd enough to get it to seat. A minute or two after the bolts were in, my wife looks at me and says with a coy smile, "Ya know I'm sitting right here so if I'm not quite getting the job done we should talk later." Then she starts ragging me for "humping" the Jeep... told me that maybe she should wear more camo or cover herself in mud. I looked at her and told her that I would hold her to those suggestions but that she didn't need to be jealous... b/c even though I loved Chloe and I had a lot of love to go round, I would always come home to her. Gotta love a woman who's willing to get down and dirty.... with the Jeep too. :laughing:

[size=6]I'm soooooooo freaking sore today!!! :doh: [/size]

• Yesterday I wasn't able to put as much time into the Jeep. I got the flywheel and tc bolted together and spent more time than was necessary trying to get the dipstick tube into the trans. Deltrans hooked me up with a mod that sleeves the bottom part of the tube to fit into a rubber boot on the trans. That bitty was a pain! I guess that they didn't happen to think that once they added to the bottome that the mount wouldn't line up properly. Well I found that out after getting it into that rubber boot. Getting the tube back out was just as difficult as getting it in. At that point it was dark and cold so I called it a night. Guess it'll have to wait til this weekend with all this weather heading our way. :doh:

• Fiddled around with the distick tube and got it reinstalled yesterday. After 25 mins of talking with a neighbor who decided cold afternoons were awesome for conversations, I spent another 20 mins on the Jeep. By that time my fingertips were numb so I called it a night. Today after work will include remounting the transfer case, filling it and the trans, driveshafts, shifter for transfer case, starter, exhaust and linkages. The TV linkage fell off so it may take a minute or two to figure out how it goes back on. I'm glad it'll be warmer for a bit though! Hoping to get it all done and drive it to the Plunge Sunday.

• Well time for yet another update:

Saturday I spent the day getting things in order, reinstalled and ready to go while I had the battery on the charger.

1. transfer case installed
    2. transfer case shifter and linkage
    3. rear drive shaft
    4. trans cooling lines attached to trans
    5. linkage for gear selector and throttle
    6. blew out the intercooler... the old fashioned way :doh:
    7. connected the cooler lines to the radiator w/ inline filter on return line
    8. filled transfer case with ATF
    9. 5 qts of ATF in trans
    10. front drive shaft
    11. new custom made inspection cover on trans
    12. started Jeep and let idle in N for 20 mins to cycle trans fluid thru filter... I also shifted thru the gears a few times to ensure the ATF was cycling thru the entire trans
    13. let her cool down for about an hour then removed filter
    14. started her back up and topped off ATF
    15. repaired leaking fuel return line
    16. tightened hose clamps on rubber lines for trans cooler after losing a couple ounces of fluid... when you hear a squishing bubbling noise it's best to check it right away... :doh: At that point it was a tad cold and dark so I called it a night.

Sunday morning before heading to the beach, I worked on cutting some new sleeves for the exhaust patchwork I got going on. Since I had the exhaust from the manifold to the tail pipe out, it was a lot easier. I did hear some debris rattling around in the muffler (probably Jersey sand and mud) so I believe I'll be replacing that at some point in the near warmer future. I finished it up Sunday evening.

Yesterday, after work, I installed the exhaust down pipe. It's some pretty tight quarters and my fingers were numb so needless to say there were a few :cuss: emanating from under the Jeep. I could only get one nut tightened onto the manifold stud and I was done with it at that point. So next I figured that I would get the skid plate on and take her down the street to see if the TV needed to be adjusted any. I had my wife out there in the cold helping me balance the skid plate on the jack. We started jacking it up and [size=6]BOOM! [/size][size=2]...the freaking trans mount is on backwards!!!!!!!!! Damn you Deltrans! :bang: As it was already 7:30, I said forget it and packed up shop. I'll finish it up today and hopefully nothing else will go wrong.[/size][size=6][/size]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!