power steering gear box/durango box swap

• I have had a weeping steering box turn into a leaking box, read a lot about swapping in a Durango box but everything I have come across states that the cut off for this swap is 2002. Has anyone here done the swap on an 03 TJ or newer ? If so what year pump for the Durango did you buy ?

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

• I actually have a used 03-06 TJ box sitting at the house.

Not sure if it leaks but you can try it. If it doesn't leak gimme $50 (its an $80 core). If not just get it back to me. Came off an 05 Rubi.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• thanks i'll take it. I'll PM my number and make arrangements to pick it up, won't be until after Feb 7th , I will be in hopefully sunny hot Florida

• It can be done on the 2003 and newer (well not sure about JK) but you need to move one of the bolt sleeves in the frame. Might need to do something with your supply and return line but I'd have to dig up the stuff I read about it to confirm.

Its not a bolt in swap but if you can operate a drill, hole saw and welder it shouldnt be all that difficult.

• thanks i'll take it. I'll PM my number and make arrangements to pick it up, won't be until after Feb 7th , I will be in hopefully sunny hot Florida

My folks in the panhandle have ice. Nothing like ice covered palms lol.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• i know mine isnt the correct year but i just got done doing the durango swap and oneof the best things ive done. steering is way more responsive.alomst no play and wasnt a hard swap. i wanna say you need a 98 box,i got mine for a durango without the plow setup? not sure what comes on it?, but its not hard at all i . you can use the same write up i did its on jeepforum. he explains how to do it on a yj and tj . good luck!

• I did mine on my 98 and it was a direct fit. Ive read that newer models fit but require grinding of the bumper rail to get clearance but I dont have first hand experience with a newer model. I do recomend it though! Way tighter and responsive steering. Also way better on the trails when resistance is involved. I used a 99 with the snow plow option.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!