Tailgate Hard to Close

• Just thought I'd throw this youtube link out there for anyone who has the same problem I had. My tailgate was almost impossible to open and close. I had to push really hard just to move the thing. Found this video online and it worked like a charm. Might be common knowledge, but I never would have thought to do it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I spray my 2003 twice a year and didn't have to drill any holes.

PB Blaster will do way more good than grease. Those pins are such tight tolerance grease isn't going to help much if any.

Spray the top and bottoms and the thin lube will migrate in.

• That is a pretty good tip for people with less "Maintained" rigs. I purchased two separate well abuses TJs that both had heavily corroded tailgate hinges. One of them I ended up buying a used set of hinges for the other I sold before I got a chance to fix it. All the lube in the world wouldn't have fixed them when sprayed externally but I definitely would have given this a try.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Good tip. :) not entirely related, but I fixed the stretcher locking bar in one of my ambulances a few weeks ago with Ballistol Sportsmans Oil. Aka gun cleaner/lube. :) the bar was replaced last year and apparently never lubed so it finally seized. A supervisor ordered a replacement (a few hundred dollars) but when I came on shift, I sprayed in a few drops of the oil and presto! Better than ever, amazing what a little oil will do.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!