Grand pops new toy needs needs to look not so plain

• Hi folks just bought my first jeep and it's a 2004 X wrangler with a inline 6 and auto transmission. I'm a disabled vet with neuropathy in my lower limbs and had to go the auto trans route. The jeep had only one owner and only 59K. But it;s just a plain black jeep with half doors and I would like to paint it the jeep orange or light blue. who does quality paint or am I making a mistake painting it.The hood needs a repaint looks like the clear coat is spidering When you look at it the hood looks like cat hairs are on the hood. I could keep it black take the pin strip off that I hate it was a women owned jeep and just repaint the hood black and add chrome diamond corners grill trim and chrome gas fill I would like larger tires on lt, has 15 on it now. I would put a 2" to 3 1/2 lift on it Can you give me some idea's. I know that jeeps have all kind of accessories that can really make it a cool looking jeep. what do you guys think? and any idea's. Thanks Tank

• Welcome aboard!

No worries on the auto trans, they're almost impossible to stall when you're offroading, and almost all of the hard-core competition guys use auto transmissions. ;)

A quality paint job can be expensive, depending on how much of the Jeep you want to have re-painted. If you skip the interior (coat it with Monstaliner or some other quality bedliner), it'll save a good bit of expense. Prep work is the primary expense on a paint job, pulling the carpet, seats and interior trim costs a lot a labor time. It might be cheaper overall to just get the hood fixed and add some accessories spray painted in the color of your preference like lights, bumpers, side armor, etc. Just an idea...

For wheels/tires, you likely have 15" wheels and 28" tires (15" is the inner diameter is used by hundreds of different sizes). A common cheap lift is a 2" "budget boost" that uses rubber spacers on top of the stock springs and longer shocks. That'll give room for 31" tires and enough clearance for offroading. It's sometimes coupled with a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift from JKS for a total of 3.25" lift with 32" or 33" tires. That lets you keep the original driveshafts and save a little install hassle and expense.

for the kid in a candy store experience... check out http://www.quadratec.com they have more than you can imagine.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks guys. I think I'm entering into a money pit with all the cool stuff you can do to jeeps. What can I expect to pay for the lift like shown on your jeep pictured and who should I go to to do it. As for the paint I would only paint the exterior and door jams and sills I will try pricing that out first but I don't want to paint it if it's gonna lose value changing colors. I know nucar body shop does a nice paint job. I think I'll just get the hood repaired and do a quality chrome diamond accessories like on the rear quarter corners. The pin strip has to go.

• I'd look at just repairing the hood, and getting some vinyl overlays.

Yes you can put the new tires on your old rims.

But first question, what do you want to do with the Jeep? Trail rides? Rock Crawling? Beach jeep? Mall Crawler?
    Lots of options.

As far as the money pit.... welcome to the madness!

• Wheels depend on the tires you use. If they're too wide, they'll rub on the control arms (the ones that go under the frame to the axle) when you turn. 31" tires should be ok, as they're mostly 10.5" wide, but 32" and 33" tires will rub (11.5 and 12.5" wide, usually). You can find some 33x10.5" tires, though.

For suspension cost, it'll vary on the brand you choose, but there aren't many differences. They all use a dense rubber/poly spacer, the only noticeable difference will be in the shocks. Personally, I'd recommend the Quadratec or Rubicon Express lifts. Same price ($239.99) and similar ride quality (Hydro shocks are what you want). Those will give you a 2.5" suspension boost and plenty of room for 31" tires. If you want to go up a little bigger to 33" tires like JMack has, I'd recommend adding these two kits: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16067_00.htm and http://www.quadratec.com/products/16066_00.htm Those will raise the body up 1.25" and the engine 1". There are other body lifts out there that might be taller or cheaper, but they use hard plastic... an inferior material choice to the rubber/poly that JKS uses and will transmit more road noise into the body. The suspension spacers plus the body and motor spacers should run you around $435.

As for install, most of us do our own installs as they can be done with normal home garage tools. So, I don't know what shops in the area to recommend. There is a guy in New Castle that's on here, though. https://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=38749.0 another member does installs on the side, but I don't know his schedule https://www.delawareja.com/for…x.php?action=profile;u=62

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• To build on what Whatevah said, I used to have 31s on stock wheels with no lift and the tires would rub the control arms. I did switch wheels in going to 33s because they wouldn't fit in the stock 15x7.

I've got 33x12.5 on 15 x 8 with 3.75 in backspacing now. No rubbing and no complaints.

But that was just the tip of the iceberg parts and cost wise.

It's a slippery slope, really depends on what you want to do with the jeep. I've started off roading with the club, so I'm looking at performance first, appearance second. Here's where I started....

• Great advice from all I hope to post a picture of it tomorrow. Like the advice about about just painting the hood and using overlays. I did see a 4 door this morning that was black and had the jeep lime green on his wheels and on parts of his step rail looked good. About the tires I'm not sure what to do. Do I want a lift or should I go with a 17 rims and larger tires. As for my use I would not be a rock guy more of a beach jeep, since I have a place at the beach and a mall crawler. I guess that's a guy who just drives around the mall. LOL. OK sounds like I'm going to go with the [size=0px]Quadratec or Rubicon Express lifts with the [/size][/size][size=0px]Hydro shocks. who does the vinyl overlays or should I check with my buddy at Porters who does there stripping. I'll post some photos tomorrow of the TJ. Thanks to all[/size]

• I'm in New Castle. My son is a UD student so I go through that area all the time. I'll probably see you at some point.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!