• Since I used up all my spare D-30 axles, it's time to put out feelers for some more. If anyone has any 27 spline assembles laying around either old style YJ/XJ small u joint type with the disconnect on the passenger side, or newer larger u joint solid passenger side TJ/XJ type, I'm interested.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I feel ya. You know how I've been going through these things like crazy. :doh:

I recently picked up two complete D30s from part-outs, just so I could pull the axle-shaft assemblies as trail spares.

These should last me at least a few wheeling trips before I need to renew my search for more. :o

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I'm no Rocket surgeon, but wouldn't life be far easier if you swapped out the axle snapper D30 and dropped in something a wee bit more stout?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I'm no Rocket surgeon, but wouldn't life be far easier if you swapped out the axle snapper D30 and dropped in something a wee bit more stout?

I'm not sure if this is directed to Randy, or me, or both.

For me, the simple answer is that I would certainly like to, and I will do so when I stumble upon an opportunity, or - as sometimes is the case - when an opportunity finds me. I wish it were so easy as dropping one in.

The more detailed answer is that - as with so many upgrades - it's mostly a matter of $$$. My D30:

[li]regeared with 4.56s[/li]
      [li]locked with an ARB[/li]
      [li]RuffStuff diff cover[/li]
      [li]welded-on LCA skids[/li]
      [li]tie-rod flip[/li]
      [li]u-bolt pinion yoke[/li]
      [li]upgraded weld-on track-bar bracket[/li]
      [li]probably more that I can't recall at the moment[/li]

It would make no sense to me to upgrade to a stronger axle without also upgrading it to at least the build specs I already have, and probably more. Plus, some or all of the steering and suspension would need to be changed to some extent.

So yeah, it's about the $$$. A lot of $$$.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• It was directed to both :P I was with Randy when he snapped a axle on Crawlers Ridge.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• You could go with beefier shafts, but depending on your driving style something else might break.

Quite true. With the ARB in there, I definitely prefer that anything else be the weak link in the axle.

~ JD

• Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'm breaking u joints first then taking out the ears on the axles. I would like to find some TJ axles with the larger u joint and try them, however I really hate to give up the passenger side disconnect since I'm running a lockrite. Like John I have to make decisions based on how much I can afford to spend on my Jeep. A pair of alloy axles is around $1300.00 and just sticking them in a 28 year old D-30 with a 27 spline locker with 212,000 miles on it doesn't seem to make good sense. If nothing turns up on the site, I'm going to buy a Spicer TJ drivers side axle to get my Jeep back on the road with two axle shafts in the front, using the axle seal to keep the oil in instead of a rag! :doh:

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I rode around for a long time with a front lock right with no disconnect Randy. You hardly noticed it. I think
    Spedlys link Is probably well worth it considering how much time you spend replacing the axle shafts and all long distance trips you take it on.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• That must be for the gold plated ones.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52400_503_07.htm

He is almost certainly talking about these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52400_1904_07.htm

~ JD

• I'm pretty sure I'm breaking u joints first then taking out the ears on the axles.

Exactly what happens with me. Except for one time when I twisted the splines, I have never actually broken an axle shaft without it being a failed u-joint damaging the shaft ears.

~ JD

• Maybe just a better quality shaft like cromo alloy and a good u joint.

I don't see chromoly as a great option. Even with chromoly axles at $500 - $800 per set, the u-joint is what fails. I'll call it a day and go home before I would swap u-joints on the trail, so with a broken u-joint on a chromoly shaft, I would swap it out for the OEM inner/outer shaft assembly that I always carry.

Even though the chromoly shafts carry a lifetime warranty, when the u-joint fails, more often than not the shaft ears are damaged. Even if the axle company covers shipping one-way, by the time you've shipped the damaged shaft back to them and purchased a new u-joint, you could grab another OEM inner/outer from a u-pull-it or someone's part-out for 40 or 50 bucks. And try warrantying out a chromoly shaft more than once or twice and see if you don't get the " Technically, it wasn't the shaft that failed, that was incidental damage from the failed u-joint" response.

~ JD

• I don't see chromoly as a great option. Even with chromoly axles at $500 - $800 per set, the u-joint is what fails. I'll call it a day and go home before I would swap u-joints on the trail, so with a broken u-joint on a chromoly shaft, I would swap it out for the OEM inner/outer shaft assembly that I always carry.

Even though the chromoly shafts carry a lifetime warranty, when the u-joint fails, more often than not the shaft ears are damaged. Even if the axle company covers shipping one-way, by the time you've shipped the damaged shaft back to them and purchased a new u-joint, you could grab another OEM inner/outer from a u-pull-it or someone's part-out for 40 or 50 bucks. And try warrantying out a chromoly shaft more than once or twice and see if you don't get the " Technically, it wasn't the shaft that failed, that was incidental damage from the failed u-joint" response.

I disagree. It sounds like Alloy's would be a good option for you guys. When I used to run a D30, I would just warranty them when they broke. Not convenient but it was free and they definitely held up to more abuse than a stock axle. From the sounds of it, you are breaking way more than you would if you'd just invest in a good axle shaft.

• I disagree. It sounds like Alloy's would be a good option for you guys. When I used to run a D30, I would just warranty them when they broke. Not convenient but it was free and they definitely held up to more abuse than a stock axle. From the sounds of it, you are breaking way more than you would if you'd just invest in a good axle shaft.

Another question, are you guys running greasable u-joints?

I know it's an ongoing debate, but IMO a solid cross will be stronger than a hollow one.

And why does the u-joint fail? Is it because the bore in the ear flexes enough to allow the cap to walk out?

The ears on the alloy shafts are way beefier than the stock ones.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!