Hi lift preferences

• After getting a small lift and larger tires I'm getting reset up for surf fishing. Just recently replaced my jack with a high lift jack and was wondering if people use the attachment to lift from the tire, the bumper lol ft attachment, or just use the lift itself to lift from the bumper. I got the tire lift attachment but wintering if it my damage the rims.

• I've never seen anyone use the tire lift, although in theory that could be very useful... Lifting from the body (either bumper or rocker guard) is tricky because the suspension has to max out before the tires come off the ground. If you're just trying to get the frame clear of a big rock, then that might not be a problem, but if you're trying to change a tire, it's a huge problem. I typically suggest getting a good bottle jack, those are more often used when changing a tire.

Yes, there is a risk of scratching the wheels using the attachment, but the wheel attachment only works with steel wheels, which are easy to fix with a can of spray paint.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I've never seen anyone use the tire lift, although in theory that could be very useful... Lifting from the body (either bumper or rocker guard) is tricky because the suspension has to max out before the tires come off the ground.

Tire life would be safer for lifting out of the sand because you wouldn't have to lift as high (making the jack more unstable). I typically lift from the bumper or side bars and have had the high lift tilt and slip on me. Although they are good to have the highlift jacks are dangerous and extra caution should always be used with them.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll look at getting a bottle jack for normal purposes and have the hi lift just I case in the sand and keep the tire lift attachment as I see your point about the stability when having to lift higher. Thanks

• I'd also suggest picking up the jack base. http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_98.htm It helps a lot on soft ground and if you have a good sized tent spike, you can really secure it.

Hilifts are dangerous, likely the most dangerous accessory we buy for our Jeeps. Watch some youtube videos or get somebody in the club to show you how to use one properly at the beach or a wheeling trip. The most dangerous way is lifting a Jeep from the bumper. Once the tires come off the ground, the whole Jeep can easily shift sideways and fall off the jack. It's happened to me, Slimer and many others... sometimes resulting in bodily injury.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I need to purchase an off road recovery kit for my Jeep as I am taking the driving on sand course offered by DNREC this April, I need recommendations on what Jack and other items to purchase and where the best place to buy.

• Make sure your Jeep has a recovery point both front and back, tow hook, drawbar, etc. If you have a receiver hitch, you can buy a clevis mounted on square tubing to go into the receiver. You'll need a tow strap with loops on the ends, not metal hooks, a couple of clevises, a small shovel, a board to use as a jack base and a jack. You can get by with the factory type screw jack, but a 6 ton hydraulic bottle jack makes life a lot easier. You can get everything (except maybe the board) at Tractor Supply or through Quadratec.

• OP. Simple fact, if you air down, say 15 lbs. you will never get stuck unless you are hot rodding. (frowned upon) Our regular meet up spot is Navy Crossing, left past the great dune, at the DEJA adopt a beach area. Hope to see you out. Surf fishing gig is always great.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!