• If you go when the light is on it will probably fail. Otherwise they don't know, they don't usually pull those codes. My Tahoe was intermittent and I would get it inspected when the light was out. Then, finally, it was on all the time and I had put electrical tape over it to keep it from annoying me. It worked so well I forgot the tape was there and the next time they busted me!
    There are people on eBay who will repair the module for about a hundred bucks. In many cases the brakes work fine without the module, just no anti-lock without it. I pulled mine and sent it in, continued driving, and reinstalled it about a week later when I got it back. No more ABS light

• WILLYN - thanks for the insight! My Jeep had some minor front end damage, and that's when this started happening, so not sure if it's a control module or a sensor. It's a 19-year old's first vehicle with 220k miles on it, so not really worth putting money into.

• WILLYN - thanks for the insight! My Jeep had some minor front end damage, and that's when this started happening, so not sure if it's a control module or a sensor. It's a 19-year old's first vehicle with 220k miles on it, so not really worth putting money into.

I know a lot of us grew up without ABS but its there for safety. I test vehicles and this is a major point that we look at. I would say that spending a little money to repair it is worth it since its your child driving it. Start by checking out the front end. There is a tone ring around the joint in the wheel ends. Make sure its still there and in one piece. There is also a wheel speed sensor (magnetic pick up) bolted through the knuckle. It has to be within a certain distance from that tone ring. If dirt or debris got packed up in there it could push the sensor out causing an intermittent issue. Also, follow the wires up under the hood to see if there is any damage to it. The ABS pump is under the hood near your brake master cylinder, make sure its plugged in and not damaged.

• I didn't mean to recommend removal of the system. Just relayed my real world experience of how I was able to fix it properly and cheaply with minimal down time. The Tahoe module is a known weak link using a marginal MOSFET? Control. When they redo it they use one with a higher rating, so it doesn't burn out again. Chevy wanted something like $1000.00 just for a new module, with the weak part!
    Thanks for the correction, I'm a bit of a rogue.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!