Recently installed RE 4.5" lift, have a few questions..

• Hey all, new to the board but I need a little advice. I recently installed the RE 4.5 ED on my 95 Sahara and I was wonder what my limitations are now wheeling it without the SYE? I installed the transfer case drop kit as well as the 4 degree axle shims and found that at full rear axle droop the driveshaft does not bind or pull all the way out of the transfer case. This was a pleasant surprise b/c after droping all the loot on the lift wheels and tires my budget is all but tapped and if I could hold off the SYE that would be great. I don't plan on doing any hard core rock crawling just some trail runs and stuff, will my current set-up be o.k. for some mild wheeling? Also, since the install I feel that my steering is really sloppy (borderline scary) and everything is tight b/c I tripple checked. Is this to be expected with the larger tires and wheels with the stock steering stabilizer. I will be changing that out soon but it still seems to wander bad, what gives? Thanks in advance!

• When I did my yj, i used the t case from my cherokee that already had an sye on it. But if you checked and the shaft does not pull out at full droop you should be ok, as long as it is not at the very end of the splines of the output shaft. But I would say wheel it until you could afford the sye. then there are several club members who would help you to put it on.

as for the steering, mine is very sloppy as well. basic things to look for are the tie rod ends. you said that everything was tight, but i did not know if you checked these. the gears inside the box could be worn a bit, and that can be adjusted out, somewhat. the other thing is the shaft that goes from the column to the steering box. the wanabe u joints where out over time and can be especially noticable when you have bigger tires on.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• I had the same problem on my TJ when we first lifted it. (ie scary steering) I found mine to be the camber. Once adjusted it rides just as good with the big tires if not better.

Just a thought :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I have a 95 YJ also
    She has a little lift on her.

When you added your lift did it come with a drop pitman arm?
    if so and you used it then it is one of your steering components.

Check your sway bar bushings. replace if you did not do it during the lift.

Unless you messed with the tie rod your alignment should not be off. if you put shims in the front. that could throw the alignment off as well.

You do not need front shims because you have a high pinion axle.

• Thanks for the feedback guys. I did install the drop pitman arm but I did not replace the swaybar bushings. I am just going to get the alignment done (to be on the safe side), throw on a steering stabilizer and run it for now. As time and money permit, the SYE and then start replacing bushings and other worn components. One last quick question, when I put the transfer case drop kit on, it basically just lower the trans and transfer case together. Doesn't this tilt now put added stress on the motor mounts? I can't imaging that is good, have you had any problems with this? Thanks again!

• I run the same exact lift on my jeep and love it. I also did not install the sye and really do not plan on it either.
    I found my vibration was from a failing u-joint.
    One thing I did notice was i had to put the 4 degree shim up front to push the rear of the pumpkin up and I am running a 6 degree shim in the rear.
    Once I did this it handles great.
    I had a buddy check my pinion angles and they are fine.

• I believe people remove the t-case drop.. but I am not sure. I have seen it done both ways..

I am not a HARD CORE wheeler but I do use it.. I took it to VA earlier this year.. and plan on going in Sept again.

• if you do the sye, you will remove the tcase drop, but the shims will probably stay depending on the angle of the pinion.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!