Scary noise

• I started noticing this noise on Day 2 of GWNF IV and I thought maybe it was because I was in 4WD, but I'm still getting it and it has become more noticeable (or maybe I'm just listening for it more). It's a kind of grinding noise that seems to be coming from the area under the center console and I can feel a slight vibration under the floorpan in front of the accelerator pedal (no carpet). It only happens when I'm idling in neutral. Maybe the drive shaft? It sounds like a rotation friction type grinding noise. I know that's a strange description, but that's what I'm hearing.

:shrug:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Did you have any deep water crossings? Check your trans fluid for water.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Would the throw out bearing cause the noise when I'm in neutral? There's no noise when I'm in gear. I did have some deep water crossings, so I'll check the fluid first. Thanks for the help.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Would the throw out bearing cause the noise when I'm in neutral? There's no noise when I'm in gear. I did have some deep water crossings, so I'll check the fluid first. Thanks for the help.

Usually touching the clutch pedal will change/stop the noise from a throwout bearing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!