New Brakes

• Ok, so this really isn't a 'Mod' per-se, but the work took easily 8 hours so I thought it was worth posting the pictures & describing the madness.

Since I got my XJ friday, I assumed the maintenance was historically sub par and that I'd need to change the oil, oil filter, air filter right off the bat. And the brakes were shot, so they needed to be replaced too. So after discussing which brakes I needed with Jerry (rear is a ford 8.8) a trip to Autozone yielded oil, oil filter, air filter, all new rotors & brake pads. Unfortunately for us (and we didn't find this out until 5 hours into the project @ 12AM at night) the clerk who sold me the rotors did not know the difference between Full-Cast & Composite rotors. Apparantly the difference is hub height, and if you get ones that are to deep (like we did by accident) the wheels don't turn when you tighten them.....

Anyway, the brake system was massively rusted, rotors probably haven't been changed in 2+ years. Had a hell of a time getting stuff off. I had to beat the old rotor with a hammer (hard) to get it off the hub. Didn't find out till late sat night that we had the wrong rotors so we had to finish up sunday morning. Didn't find out till we were on the last brake that there is a device called a 'brake pad seperator'(?) that makes what we were doing much much easier. But at least now we know...

[img width=500]http://images19.fotki.com/v358…8/4242958/IMG_1878-vi.jpg[/img]
    It's such a lovely shade of rust....

[img width=500]http://images20.fotki.com/v355…8/4242958/IMG_1877-vi.jpg[/img]

[img width=500]http://images19.fotki.com/v358…8/4242958/IMG_1882-vi.jpg[/img]

[img width=500]http://images19.fotki.com/v358…8/4242958/IMG_1880-vi.jpg[/img]
    much, much better

[img width=500]http://images20.fotki.com/v355…8/4242958/IMG_1883-vi.jpg[/img]
    I think this has something to do with the non-existant parking brake on the Ford 8.8 in the rear)

[img width=500]http://images20.fotki.com/v357…8/4242958/IMG_1874-vi.jpg[/img]
    the jeep is kinda tall; this is me standing on a step-ladder just to reach the oil filter)

[img width=500]http://images20.fotki.com/v355…8/4242958/IMG_1885-vi.jpg[/img]
    In person it looks like the cherokee could eat my Z

I do have a request for some help though. In the process of replacing the front brakes we found out that the bolt/socket that holds the caliper to the (wheel?) has been somewhat stripped. After much discussion we think it would be the most reasonable to fill it with steel and re-tap it. If there is anyone in northern DE who could help me with that sometime, I would be most appreciative. It's not urgent, but I will have to do it eventually.

• pics are always great - 'cept i'm only getting X's. is it password protected on the hosting site or something?
    chris

I just opened it up on a diff computer at work and my computer at home and it worked fine. Anyone else get that problem? ???

• sorry, i can't really say yes or no on that. i can comment though that on the smaller V8's in late model F-150 trucks it has been commonplace to insert helicoils after one or more of the plugs blow out and take the threads with them. that would be an example of one that is used when the hole isn't closed. again, i couldn't say yes or no...just an example that i've heard about quite often.
    chris

• Just wanted to say nice Jeep, reminds me of my old one....post more pictures! :driving:

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Ive used helicoils on a bellhousing with no problems.. open ended holes.. mounted to the tranny.. so i think it would work.. im always weary of using patches when it comes to brake parts.. but helicoils have a good reputation.. so you should be fine...
    i think most welding shops would not exactly want to take on that job because of the possible liability..
    depending on the exact make up of how the caliper mounts.. i might be able to get you the whole part you need..
    what axel?

• Ive used helicoils on a bellhousing with no problems.. open ended holes.. mounted to the tranny.. so i think it would work.. im always weary of using patches when it comes to brake parts.. but helicoils have a good reputation.. so you should be fine...
    i think most welding shops would not exactly want to take on that job because of the possible liability..
    depending on the exact make up of how the caliper mounts.. i might be able to get you the whole part you need..
    what axel?

Definately good points. Front axle is whatever stock is on a 99 XJ. Dana 30 i think? It has aussie lockers, not sure if that makes any difference.

• I do have a request for some help though. In the process of replacing the front brakes we found out that the bolt/socket that holds the caliper to the (wheel?) has been somewhat stripped. After much discussion we think it would be the most reasonable to fill it with steel and re-tap it. If there is anyone in northern DE who could help me with that sometime, I would be most appreciative. It's not urgent, but I will have to do it eventually.

Can you drill it out to the next size thread and retap it? I have a stick welder if you want to try filling it in. Can you take a pic? Is it something you can remove from the Jeep or will it have to be done ON the Jeep?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• does this look like what you have? if so.. i think we could swap out the whole part from my spare axel. depending on the side...
    give me a call maybe i can stop by and look.. if it looks the same.. maybe we can do it..
    Rob
    302-339-1801

• just an update for Zeke... the XJ went through inspection pretty well, they only complained about it not having flares or mud flaps.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• just an update for Zeke... the XJ went through inspection pretty well, they only complained about it not having flares or mud flaps.

The inspector literally said "your height's ok but ya need fender flares & mud flaps" I was amazed, considering about 4 inspectors were standing around my jeep looking at it when I went through. So now I need to figure out some flares, but that's a topic for another thread!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!