3:73's or 4:10's

• I'm have the chance to put a set of d 30/35 with 3:73's but i really wanted 4:10's my buddy told me 3:73's would be better with my 33in tires then 4:10s i would like some input of what everyone thinks

• a factory jeep with 3.73 generally has 30" tires
    regearing that jeep too 4.11 with 33" tires would be exactly like stock, ratio wise. I would go with 4.11s. my jeep was really fast with 4.11 and 33's

• a factory jeep with 3.73 generally has 30" tires
    regearing that jeep too 4.11 with 33" tires would be exactly like stock, ratio wise. I would go with 4.11s. my jeep was really fast with 4.11 and 33's

not all factory jeeps had 3:73's mine has 3:07s i think only the 6 cylinder automatic had 3:73's but my buddy has 4:11's and he said at like 70 in 5th gear hes like 3500 rpms

• not all factory jeeps had 3:73's mine has 3:07s i think only the 6 cylinder automatic had 3:73's but my buddy has 4:11's and he said at like 70 in 5th gear hes like 3500 rpms

i know they all dont, its an option. it was just a for instance. 3.73 was an option on 6cyl models, its not standard at all expect 4cyl autos.

4.11s with 33 at 70mph he is doing 35rpm? sounds like the speedo is off to me.

i have 4.56 with 33s and at 70 i am doing about 2800.

• well you got a different trans then me (you have the 6 i got the 5 speed), im sure that would make a difference but idk, all i know is when the gps says 70-80 my jeep is screaming! :shrug:

2003 TJ 4.0L, hardtop, Artec Trussed 8.8, 5.5 long arm currie joints, sye Tatton shaft, 35" km2s, barnes 4x4 belly up skid, 11,000lb qtec winch AtoZ fab bumper and lots of rustys stuff

• i am not sure i think im ight get em and then regear down the road but not sure i mean i have always heard 4;10's are perfect for 33's? so idk any other people with some knowledge out there

• I have 3:73s w/ 33s now. If your in the wilm hockessin area shoot me a message and you can drive mine. 4:10s or 4:11s is where you want to be in my opinion.

• Well I put 33's on my ride with the 3.73 that came stock in the 6 cyl auto... It's a little sluggish and I have to manually kill the OD sometimes.. I'm going to go to at least 4.11, but 4.56 seems the likely jump... You just give up the high end but pick up the torque... Your 0-55 improves... but 80mph becomes a thing of the past...

My mileage now is a joke... like 12 mpg... I can't see going to 4.56's helping it either... Good thing I didn't buy it for the fuel economy...

• I have 3:73s w/ 33s now. If your in the wilm hockessin area shoot me a message and you can drive mine. 4:10s or 4:11s is where you want to be in my opinion.

you got auto or manuel? and i live in kirkwood gardens off milltown road i'll definatly take up your offer or the test drive

• I drive with 33s and 3.73s right now. Personally, if they are the axles you want Id get em. It's not a bad gear ratio. It just isn't as fast as with the 30" tires, but no problem at all even on the highway. If you're already prepared to regear anyways, I'd grab the deal (but I doubt it's worth doing all that for that minute a change from 3.73 to 4.10). (I have the 5-speed).

• Well I put 33's on my ride with the 3.73 that came stock in the 6 cyl auto... It's a little sluggish and I have to manually kill the OD sometimes.. I'm going to go to at least 4.11, but 4.56 seems the likely jump... You just give up the high end but pick up the torque... Your 0-55 improves... but 80mph becomes a thing of the past...

My mileage now is a joke... like 12 mpg... I can't see going to 4.56's helping it either... Good thing I didn't buy it for the fuel economy...

really sluggish my dads friend has 3:73's and 33's, auto and it does pritty good but
    yea i think i am gonna pick em up and ride them then if i feel i need more gear i will do 4:10's later down the road

I drive with 33s and 3.73s right now. Personally, if they are the axles you want Id get em. It's not a bad gear ratio. It just isn't as fast as with the 30" tires, but no problem at all even on the highway. If you're already prepared to regear anyways, I'd grab the deal (but I doubt it's worth doing all that for that minute a change from 3.73 to 4.10). (I have the 5-speed).

yea sal i think i am gonna do that btw i am the dude with the brown yj that was over chris's house saturday night

• It all depends on what engine & tranny you have.
    If you have a 6cyl and a 3sp Auto 3.73 is fine for 33's especially for a DD.

if you have a 4sp auto, then you will loose some use of your overdrive
    If you have a manual, you will loose some use of 5th gear.

If you have overdrive, 4.10 is more of an ideal gear for it.

• i have 5spd and 6 cylinder so you think i will do fine with 3:73's? or would you recomend 4:10's

• what is the ratio of your overdrive gear. I think the AX-15 is 0.79:1 ... with that said, I have no problems driving it as my daily driver and on I-95 everyday with 3.73. It's not quick on the highway, but it's not much different than when I had 30" tires. I remember back in high school with the 30" tires and it'd accelerate pretty quickly. It's not quite the same now. But, the day I drove it away from NTB after they mounted the 33", I was expecting it to feel different, and it really wasn't.

like I said before, I don't think it'd make enough of a difference switching to 4.10s to warrant opening it all up. I'd wait until you want to lock em. I guess that's just what I'm assuming though.

These are just Dana 30 and Dana 35s right? You getting them for free? Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me.

• what is the ratio of your overdrive gear. I think the AX-15 is 0.79:1 ... with that said, I have no problems driving it as my daily driver and on I-95 everyday with 3.73. It's not quick on the highway, but it's not much different than when I had 30" tires. I remember back in high school with the 30" tires and it'd accelerate pretty quickly. It's not quite the same now. But, the day I drove it away from NTB after they mounted the 33", I was expecting it to feel different, and it really wasn't.

like I said before, I don't think it'd make enough of a difference switching to 4.10s to warrant opening it all up. I'd wait until you want to lock em. I guess that's just what I'm assuming though.

These are just Dana 30 and Dana 35s right? You getting them for free? Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me.

yup d30/35 i am doing what chris did just doing ti to get the hp carriers thats all way cheaper then if i reageared my stock axels i will be doing a dana 44 swap wjenever one comes my way or my 35 breaks

• when i had the ax-15 5 speed 4.56 and 33s i was doing only 2500 rpm at 70, heck a stock rubicon with 6 speed can do 80mph at 3000 rpm...

does your buddy have 4.11s 33s and auto trans or manual?

• in my 94 YJ i had stock 3.07's and i ran them with 33's for a while.

i installed a pair of axles with 3.73's ands he jeep ran perfect. drove it back and forth to VA a couple fo times for GWNF and had no issues or complaints.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!