synthetic fluid in lockers

• royal purple synthetic? :doh: boy i aint gettin near that ARB... :doh:

moved these posts from the arb for sale thread. JH

• What's it been engaged all of five times since you've had it in there? Hell, his XJ hasn't seen mud in three years...

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• i really hope I was picking up sarcasm in that......

No sir, sorry. ARB specifically says not to run synthetic while running one of the lockers, use what the OE differential calls for.

• i love it when people believe everything they read on the internet....

the guy was just here last week and told us specifically not to use synthetic....i was just passing the word on....oh well :rolleyes:

• i love it when people believe everything they read on the internet....

the guy was just here last week and told us specifically not to use synthetic....i was just passing the word on....oh well :rolleyes:

It is a document from ARB I would believe a printed document over what one person says... especially when it calls for full synthetic in 2 different situations

• fwiw, I was told by a head tech guy at Eaton that synthetic fluid should not be used in any locker, I forget the technical reasons why, just that they didn't protect enough. But ARB recommends it, and half of Australia uses their lockers, that's good enough for me.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• fwiw, I was told by a head tech guy at Eaton that synthetic fluid should not be used in any locker, I forget the technical reasons why, just that they didn't protect enough. But ARB recommends it, and half of Australia uses their lockers, that's good enough for me.

Then they should reflect that in their install documentation as eaton recommends non silicon sealant on the diff cover when you use synthetic gear lube... kind of counter-intuitive to recommend a specific sealant for something a head-tech tells you not tu use

• they guy from ARB told me that synthetic leaks into the air passage o-rings easier and therefore you would have oil spitting out your solenoid valve....

• Like Turtle said, use what the manufacturer officially lists as an acceptable fluid or standard. If they are unclear, then call them and ask for specific documentation clarifying their requirements to validate the warranty. Do not fall into the "some expert from XXXXX told me" or "found it posted on the Internet" bs. Neither of those paths are going to work out well for you as can clearly be seen from this thread...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!