First Time Buyer...Your Opinions

• Hello. I am looking to buy my first Jeep. Went to look at a 1993 Wrangler, 4cyl, 5sp manual, 167k, 4" lift, new 33" 12.5 tires, new 4.88 gears, newer battery and alternator, and clutch.

Since all of you are the experts, I wanted to get your opinion on this Jeep. Thanks for any comments you may have.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/surfin25/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

New to the Jeep world<br /><br />Disclaimer: Will ask dumb questions

• Look for a 4.0L.

What are your plans for the Jeep; off roading or just running around town/beach with the top down?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Why a 4.0L?

Just for beach and around town with the top down. Eventually some trails but nothing crazy like rock climbing etc.

• Nothing wring with a 4 angry squirrels as long as the gearing works.. 4:88s and 33s is a good combo. 4cyls dont breaks stuff so easily either.

Frame rust looks typical, but nothing too bad, some basic treatment needed. Looks real clean on the outside and a fresh top is a bonus. 93 should be MPI not throttle body right?

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Whats the price tag? That will help.. Mileage is a bit high, Expect some engine wear, the good news is decent 4cys are pretty easy to find fairly cheap and easy to replace if/when needed. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]2.5 vs 4.0 debate ... you can read that all over the net, ultimately, a 4 can do mostly anything a 6 can do except pass cars on the highway and maintain speed in the mountains. [/font]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Price tag is asking $5,500 which I think a a bit high. Would plan on taking a drill and wire brush to the rust, phosphoric acid and paint if necessary.

• 167,000 miles is pretty high for that price in my opinion. You'd be looking at a water pump, and timing chain replacement soon. Radiator might be getting crispy too but there's no way to tell that until it goes.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i agree with the above....that is a fairly "standard" condition, with a good looking tub (not sure if original or it's been repaired/painted

i wouldnt pay more than 3500 though...i bought a 93 6 years ago in similar condition with 130000 miles on a 4.0 and paid 3500 for it.

• I'd probably offer $2500. Not sure I'd pay much more for it with that many miles and it being a 4 banger.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Also, it appeared to have a transfer case drop. That being said, I assume it does not have an slip yoke eliminator which is the better/correct way to address rear driveline angles when installing a 4 inch lift. Not a deal breaker, but good to know. Like others said, a bit steep.

Try searching around the internet for a similarly set up jeep as a comp (likely will be less than this one) to maybe talk the seller down a bit.

• Also, it appeared to have a transfer case drop. That being said, I assume it does not have an slip yoke eliminator which is the better/correct way to address rear driveline angles when installing a 4 inch lift. Not a deal breaker, but good to know. Like others said, a bit steep.

Try searching around the internet for a similarly set up jeep as a comp (likely will be less than this one) to maybe talk the seller down a bit.

I have been doing some searching and it does seem steep. I wanted a lift and tires. Do you think offering 3.5 is too low?

Edited once, last by surfin ().

• I have been doing some searching and it does seem cheap. I wanted a lift and tires. Do you think offering 3.5 is too low?

Money talks, Meet the guy and take it for a test drive (bring a quiet but knowlegable friend), test the 4wd. Take it on the highway. be sure to point out any issues that will cost you to fix. Rust repair, ect. Check the title, check if its been rebuilt/salvaged. (huge discounts there) , dont act too excited, mumble about it being a 4 not a 6 cyl. Then offer $3500, and have the cash in your hand. If he tries to up you, tell him that's all you have. If he passes, look bummed and say thanks anyway, then nod to your friend and have him offer you a $200 cash loan. And see if he bites at $3700.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Money talks, Meet the guy and take it for a test drive (bring a quiet but knowlegable friend), test the 4wd. Take it on the highway. be sure to point out any issues that will cost you to fix. Rust repair, ect. Check the title, check if its been rebuilt/salvaged. (huge discounts there) , dont act too excited, mumble about it being a 4 not a 6 cyl. Then offer $3500, and have the cash in your hand. If he tries to up you, tell him that's all you have. If he passes, look bummed and say thanks anyway, then nod to your friend and have him offer you a $200 cash loan. And see if he bites at $3700.

Don't hate the player, hate the game! :8)

Most of the time, people will set their asking prices high knowing that prospective buyers will want to negotiate the price down. Hopefully the seller doesn't really believe it to be the market value of his Jeep.... maybe his personal valuation of it. :shrug:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Thanks for all the input. Still shopping around. If anyone has any information regarding wranglers for sale, let me know.

• I love the yj's the 4banger is weak on the highwaywith time and the correct mods it's ok :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!