Getting a lift.

• I am a first time Wrangler owner with a 2010 JK sport. It is currently stock, the tires are nearly bald, and I am looking to upgrade the suspension and tires.

My JK is a daily driver with a two mile commute each way. We also use it for the occasional road trip. one of the first things we did with the Jeep was take it on vacation to the Poconos. We would like to go offroading to Rauch Creek.

I have been doing research on various sites and merchants regarding lifts. I was considering a 2.5 to 3.5 inch lift with 35 inch tires. I dont want to replace the drive shaft right now. The guy at the dealership said I don't need control arms or a track bar and a spring lift would be fine. I know I don't want just hockey pucks. I want a suspension that will improve the jeep's handling and capabilities and not just for looks. What exactly do control arms do and what is it like driving with or without them?

Also, the dealership charges 115 an hour and claims it will take 10 hours to install a Teraflex spring lift. Is that reasonable? Where else can I go to install a lift?

• First off, become a paid member of DEJA. We get discounts at Quadratec.com 4wd, Dave's off road...
    2. Spend your money ONCE. Do your research, decide what you want. Buy quality.
    3. Evaluate your skills and tools. Got any friends that can help? (You do now..you own a jeep!)

• You will not need REPLACEMENT control arms, you will keep your stock ones. They connect the axle to the frame. Without looking at the parts list for the lift you are considering, 10 hrs at a shop is way too much. It could probably be done in less than half the time in a driveway. Don't pay $1000 for an install. Don't pay half that.

Old Man Emu is a top brand and will give you a great ride. A lot of jk guys are also doing BDS or AEV.

Good luck

• I have the AEV 2.5" spring lift under my JK. Improved the ride quality and handling compared to the stock Rubicon suspension. Slightly smoother ride (Rubicons ride stiff) and handles better in turns. I guess that's due partially to the improved spring design and also the rear trackbar tower. Their stuff is expensive, but I feel worth it for a daily driver that sees occasional trails (I don't hit RC as much as I used to, but went to Moab twice in the last 2 years).

Teraflex makes some great stuff, though. I'm a fan of their engineering department. Their 4" lift is on my list for a lift if I end up getting a 2016 4-door (depends on the diesel offering).

If you have a level driveway and can wait for warmer weather, you can install a basic 3.5" lift with standard tools, although an impact gun will make it a lot faster. I installed the 2.5" AEV lift by myself. Would have been easier with an extra pair of hands, but I did it on a weekday.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• First off, become a paid member of DEJA. We get discounts at Quadratec.com 4wd, Dave's off road...
    2. Spend your money ONCE. Do your research, decide what you want. Buy quality.
    3. Evaluate your skills and tools. Got any friends that can help? (You do now..you own a jeep!)

1. Will do
    2. That's what I want to do.
    3. I have a socket wrench set and the stock jack that came with the Jeep. My driveway is sloped and I have no garage. The most advanced thing I've done on a car is accidentally change the transmission fluid while trying to change the oil.

• You will not need REPLACEMENT control arms, you will keep your stock ones. They connect the axle to the frame. Without looking at the parts lift for the lift you are considering, 10 hrs at a shop is way too much. It could probably be done in less than half the time in a driveway. Don't pay $1000 for an install. Don't pay half that.

Old Man Emu is a top brand and will give you a great ride. A lot of jk guys are also doing BDS or AEV.

Good luck

Thank you. I will look into those brands. So, why do some people get replacement control arms?

• I have the AEV 2.5" spring lift under my JK. Improved the ride quality and handling compared to the stock Rubicon suspension. Slightly smoother ride (Rubicons ride stiff) and handles better in turns. I guess that's due partially to the improved spring design and also the rear trackbar tower. Their stuff is expensive, but I feel worth it for a daily driver that sees occasional trails (I don't hit RC as much as I used to, but went to Moab twice in the last 2 years).

Teraflex makes some great stuff, though. I'm a fan of their engineering department. Their 4" lift is on my list for a lift if I end up getting a 2016 4-door (depends on the diesel offering).

If you have a level driveway and can wait for warmer weather, you can install a basic 3.5" lift with standard tools, although an impact gun will make it a lot faster. I installed the 2.5" AEV lift by myself. Would have been easier with an extra pair of hands, but I did it on a weekday.

I would love to go rock crawling in Moab. I've hiked Zions National Park many years ago and it was awesome.

Unfortunately I do not have a level driveway or garage but I do have a socket set. I can change a flat tire and maybe the oil. Can it be done one wheel at a time or does the whole Jeep have to be off the ground?

• Thank you. I will look into those brands. So, why do some people get replacement control arms?

2 reasons. Adjustable control arms will let you rotate the axle. You need this after you install aftermarket driveshafts because they require a different pinion angle. You also rotate the axle to gain back caster after a lift. Caster is a steering angle that affects how the vehicle tracks going down the road. A common complaint with lifted jeeps is the steering feels twitchy. That feeling is from lack of caster.

The other reason is the stock control arms are small diameter thin wall tubing. If you start off-roading a lot the stock arms will tend to bend and destroy the bushings. Quality aftermarket arms will have a rebuildable joint at the ends and be made from a thicker/larger diameter tubing.

• Can it be done one wheel at a time or does the whole Jeep have to be off the ground?

No, usually you need to do one axle at a time. When do you plan on doing it? Depending on your schedule (and what lift you choose), you could bring it to my house and we could work on it.

• No, usually you need to do one axle at a time. When do you plan on doing it? Depending on your schedule (and what lift you choose), you could bring it to my house and we could work on it.

That would be awesome. I haven't actually ordered anything yet but I would like to get it done in February or early March. I just watched a youtube video of a guy installing a lift with jack stands and doing the back then the front. It looks about as complicated as assembling furniture but slightly more dangerous.

I'll have to figure out what jack and stands to order. I'm thinking of getting the Tereflex 3" spring lift. I want to avoid any complicated cutting or welding. It looks like it might require drilling a hole in one of the doohickies. I have a cordless drill and a ratchet set.

It would be great to have someone there in case I get stuck or do something wrong.

• And me if I'm off. :) Been too long since I helped install a lift kit.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'm ready to order. Sent a pm to Quadratec to put me on "the list". I'm getting the 3 inch Teraflex spring lift with shocks. The wheels and tires I'm still undecided on. I'm looking at the Duratrac 325/65-18 or the MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5-17. The lift says it requires wheels with 4.5 inch back spacing or less but the 18 inch wheels I like have 5 inch back spacing. I really want a full 35 inch tire. It might be simpler just to go with the MT/R since there are plenty of 17 inch wheels I like with 4.5 back spacing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!