surf fishing 101

• A couple of you had mentioned that you wanted a thread to cover the basics of surf fishing. Post up questions, tricks and tips here. I know I saw someone post up what rigs/weights to use. I'll share what I use rod and reel wise and also what terminal, tackle I carry with me on the beach. My dad tells me I could fish before I could walk, but it's something that you will never know all of the answers too as every time you go out you learn something new, if anyone ever tells you that they know it all, find yourself another fishing partner to fish with.

Rods - I bring six with me varying from 7-10 feet in length. The short rods are medium light to medium action and the bigger rods are medium to heavy action. The action is labeled on the rod. I fish three rods at a time.

Reels - I have a mix of Shimano bait runners and Penn spinning reels spooled with 10-20 lb test line, one reel is spooled with 65 lb test braid.

Sand spikes - when sinking the spike don't be the tool using a rubber mallet to "hammer" it in. Just push down while rocking the tube from front to back, it will go right in and will be deeper than being hammered. I'll let Jodie comment on this.... :mrgreen:

Sinkers - there are more varieties of sinkers than you can shake a stick at. I have a mix of sputnik and pyramids in weights from 2-8oz. If fishing for croaker and spot I have bank sinkers from 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz., every once and a while the water is as calm as a lake with no current, splitshots will work.

Rigs - for sharks, blues and stripers I make my own. For panfish any over the counter rig with a variety of colored corks/floats will work.

You will need a good fillet knife to cut your bait. You will also need a cutting board.
    Type of bait depends on what is running. Fresh bunker/frozen bunker, finger mullet, surf clams and always carry fish bites blood worm formula. The panfish can't resist them. We often cut the fresh caught panfish up for bait too, you can't go wrong with fresh caught bait..

I carry heavy duty, extended needle nose pliers, crimping pliers and a short gaff with me too.
    SUNSCREEN and ice cold beverages

• Bob, this info is great! Like Tonka I am much more of a freshwater fisherman (mostly bass all on lures). So I have a bunch of surf stuff I've picked up. Have gotten out once or twice in the past but never really had any luck. But then again I have little to no concept of what I'm doing.

It would be great to get out there at the same time this year to get some advice etc.

• Keith, another good tip, the biggest rookie mistake is "overcasting", most of the time your bait doesn't need to be cast out a country mile, the fish are usually feeding in or just beyond the waves.
    As soon as the water temp creeps back up into the upper 40's I'll start fishing again, I am always glad to share whatever I know and the more lines in the water the better the odds.

• Thanks for posting the thread Bob. Good info for us rookies. What about timing and tide? Is there a better time of day or tide that you want to plan around being out there? If so, does that change regularly or is it a constant? Ive got two 12ft rods and reels. Not sure the line weight because I bought them used. Is it stupid to buy a surf fishing starter type tackle box? I see them online and wonder if its junk or if its what I need. Also for sand spikes, can I just get a piece of pvc and cut the bottom into an angle? Or is there somthing special about the ones they sell?

• I'd also be curious on any thoughts about beach jeep etiquette. I'm sure a lot of that is common sense. But on those crowded days you occasionally see someone with a setup that looks like a Bedouin camp at an oasis taking up multiple spots.

• Thanks for posting the thread Bob. Good info for us rookies. What about timing and tide? Is there a better time of day or tide that you want to plan around being out there? If so, does that change regularly or is it a constant? Ive got two 12ft rods and reels. Not sure the line weight because I bought them used. Is it stupid to buy a surf fishing starter type tackle box? I see them online and wonder if its junk or if its what I need. Also for sand spikes, can I just get a piece of pvc and cut the bottom into an angle? Or is there somthing special about the ones they sell?

If it's just angled pvc you're looking for I have some of those you can have. Last year I bought a decent sand spike as well so I don't need all of the few pvc ones I had cut.

• Tides are important and ever changing. Different people have different thoughts on tides. Incoming and high tide are my favorite, out going is ok and low is usually the slow part as far as any action. The tides change every 6 hours with a slack period in between, I usually print out a tide chart, most bait stores have them at no charge as well.
    All of my sand spikes are home cut PVC, the store bought ones are all fancy and nice but in the end they all do one thing, hold your rod. If you make them, cut them long, I think mine are around 42"- 44" long and I have two or three around 24" just to hold rods while rigging them

I would not buy a saltwater starter kit, I would personally go to Dick's or local tackle shop, Cabelas is ok but you can buy the same stuff way cheaper at Dick unless you hot a sale at candles.

As far as pyramid sinkers, I use to make my own and probably have enough 4-5 oz ones to last the rest of my life. Sinkers are usually sold by the oz, once again that's when you hit the local bait shop as they usually have what you'll need.

I have no affiliation with Dan's Bait and Tackle located on the south bound lane of route 1 in Milford, but this is where I buy most of my bait/terminal tackle. I have used other shops but this man is honest and full of good local info and his prices are fair, besides I like to support small local business.

During the early summer and late fall the beach and people are ok. I just use the room that I need to fish, however during the busy summer months by 10-11 am the weekend crowds parade down the beach and most show no respect to the fact that you have been there since 5am fishing, this statement might upset some people here but it is just cold hard fact.

• A rag or an old wash cloth is handy to wipe your hands on after baiting the rod. I use a small scrap piece of 2x8 lumber that doubles as my required recovery board and bait cutting board. Bug spray can be useful as well if fishing beach plum (broadkill) if the wind is right the black flies off the marsh can get real bad. Not usually an issue on CHSP from what I've encountered.

• My 101 advice...

For Rods, I like 10 - 12 foot. it should do most of its flexing in the top 1/3. Most any decent rod will do fine. Avoid super cheap. Also good to keep a smaller rod handy and ready in case bait a school a baitfish comes along, There are usually los of bigger fish feeding on these schools and all it takes is a well placed cast, but you usually wont have much time to pull in your active tackle.

Reels, this is where a little money pays off. I found one of the best reels for the money is the Okuma ABF50 spinning reel. Under $50 and performs like a $100+ reel. Bait casters are not for beginners.

Line, for a beginner, run 20-25lb mono, go lighter as skills increase, otherwise you will throw a lot of rigs into the sea. Brand is not that important (unless you go with lighter line) , but a nice bright color is good for visibility. Plan to change your line every year, I will usually strip off 2/3s of the line and tie a blood knot and refill since you rarely go that deep into your reel. Also most reals will come with a spare spool, fill that and keep it handy. Learn to tie a few knots. Also I like to use swivel clips, big time saver changing rigs.

Sand Spikes, get the type that uses a long aluminum angle as the spike part, these are very easy to set, hold great and help keep your rod and line up high over the breakers. I love my OTW Spike

Weight, Pyramids are my go to. Sputniks are awesome but expensive. Usually 3-5 oz will hold. The heavier the weight the less sensitivity to fish. Sputniks will let you run an ounce or so lighter weight , so there is some advantage to them. If your line moves from position its either 1. a fish! 2. Not enough weight, or 3. You are snagged on someone else's line.

Bait, research what's working, I like using fish bites and real bait. Fish bites cant be stolen and last 30 min+ in the water. Blood worms are great, but pricey. Cabellas has frozen baits pretty cheap. Mullet, bunker, Squid, are all good.

Rigs, I will usually use a top/bottom rig with floats.(keeps off the crabs) I tend to use smaller hooks so I dont exclude the smaller catches. There is a rig for everything.

Extra stuff I keep: Hook Sharpener, these are must have and should have a file to sharpen the barb. Get a key chain type and keep clipped to your sand spike. Big Needle nose pliers or a good hook remover. A heavy duty rubber glove, I keep a left glove to hold skates, rays, blues and toothy sharks... they will cut your ass up. Fillet knife and cutting board to cut bait. Multi tool.

Location, I like to try to find the rip tides, or any area that has some structure. Its good to scout out an area during a low tide if you can. Look for areas that the waves don't break over. And off season, Try fishing the Point. Some very interesting currents to fish there.

Casting... this is a skill that must be learned and mastered. You have to accelerate your rig, aim and release just right. Too fast and you risk snapping your line and tossing a right into the ocean, too light, everyone on the beach gets a good laugh. When crowded, it gets hard not to cross a line. Watch videos on it and practice. Good advice is to fish at different cast lengths, fish are often closer to shore than you might think.

Drag, Set it properly based you your line. Nothing worse than losing a fish because the drag is too tight. Also good to loosen your drag when storing your reel.

Catching a fish... Generally fish will usually hook themselves, but you need to set the hook with a sharp firm pull. From that point on never giver them any slack, but dont be a spaz. Take your time and gauge the weight, enjoy the fight, and when you get it in, dont try to pick it up with your line unless its small, drag it up onto dry beach. If its a toothy shark, you are not suppose to remove it from the water., .. try to pin it down in the surf and remove the hook.. yeah its a little scary.

I think a 101 outing would be really fun, I would love to be part of one.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• If you guys are fishing at just Delaware beaches rods over 10ft are overkill, unless there is a storm with big waves it's a waste of money, if you are going to fish Assateague too you will need 12 - 13 foot rod as the wave sets are a good 50 yards plus out there. For Delaware beaches line over 20lb test is really not needed, there are no underwater reefs to warrant anything heavier, the lighter the line the better, most guys are using 12-17 and make no mistake name brand has everything to do with everything. The heavier the line the more wind and water drag you will get. This is where braid comes into play as you can get 65lb test that is the same diameter of 12'lb mono. Fishing on or around rocks does warrant a heavier line to ward off abrasions. I have used Okuma bait runners and they are junk, with normal use sand got inside the cover plate and you could hear the gears grinding it up as you turned the handle, returned all three to French creek outfitters after two uses, wound up with Shimano which I have had had for over 5years of hard use, both on the Atlantic and pacific coast. That being said you can buy a cheap reel that will get you through a couple of seasons, such as Shakespeare and Daiwa that are in the blister packages.There are days that sputnik are the only thing that will hold bottom always have a few with you. Don't be scared off about off by the casting comments, if you can cast fresh water gear it is no different, my daughter can cast as far as I do and she is 15. And yes I'll be a dick one more time here, frozen baits are a LAST resort, if you get fresh you WILL catch twice as much as the guy tossing frozen.
    Bottom line is don't invest in tackle that is going to be overkill for where and what you are fishing, nothing like fighting a 12" croaker on a 12' rod, if you want to make three sand spikes out of PVC for what one aluminum cost knock yourself out, but hey it's only money.

This is all just my opinion based on just my experience :razz:

• Yeah I need to use my surf permit for more than Lums Pond this year! :doh: Since I got 2 year tags I'll have to move a little further along than just making my rack and pole holders. I do need to pick up another reel for the white pole as well as some good salt water tackle.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Bob, valid points, I replied 101, assuming that the person is a novice, and is not ready to spend big money to get started. ... 10-12 foot rod is mainly to keep the line high enough so people walking by are not getting tangled, besides there is little price difference between 10 and 12 ft. Yes it is funny catching a little fish on a huge rod...

Line, newbies are very good at snapping line when throwing rigs, (bale not open, bad whip etc. ) Mono has more stretch than braded. Agreed, good line is worth it, and if budget allow, get the good stuff. Braided line is about 2.5x the price of mono plus needs more to fill the spool. so filling 2 spools could set you back well over $50 depending on the line, and spool capacity. Of course your could preload the spool with some cheaper mono first. I do agree, the thinness makes a huge difference with wind resistance.

My Okumas are 2 and 3 seasons old and have been flawless.. Then again, all reels should be kept out of the sand at all cost.. Calling them Junk, not sure I agree. :razz: I've had the cheap Shakespears and Diawas, and I'll keep my Okumas.

For sure... buy fresh bait, but you will find, some fresh gets hard to come by sometimes and gets pricey.

The old Joke of fishermen, calculating how much that fish just cost per pound after all your expenses to catch it.

:fishing:

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• This has been very helpful. I have never been surf fishing at all.... lol.... and i have seen bob straight destory spot in the wash hahahaha.... right now i use a breakaway 10' 6" custom with a akios cts 5..... i have a 13 ft breakaway i use for 8 and bait in the winter..... unfortunately my shoulder has been to friendly on the cast with that rod anymore. Bob and i have had multiple discussions on conventional reels and spinning reels. But if you are used to using baitcasters in freshwater then using a conventional is no problem. Spring time you kind of gotta be the judge of how far you need to cast.... ideally at places like broadkill tide doesnt matter as much you might think. It will just change the species of fish your hitting. I have caught drum in dead low out there... and honestly have had some of the best fishing at low tide on broadkill... bad news is if high tide comes then you might be stranded out there. As far as bait... learn to toss a cast net. Isnt to hard. Goto cedar swap on the way down to the beach and in the spring you'll catch enough bunker you will be giving it away. And if you go conventional use mono... small test weight 12-15 pds... learn how to tie a albright knot and tie a 60-70# shockleader of mono to it. Shockleaders are usually 5 times the length of your rod... this keeps your line from snapping.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• As far as the line goes I wasn't referring to braid verses mono, there are dozens of different formulations of mono on the market, typically the cheaper lines are not soft and can be difficult to deal with, whether it be birds nests while casting or tying knots. I have found that Andes in the pink color and Berkley Big Game in the green offer the nest of both worlds , abrasions resistance without being too stiff. I love to use fluorocarbon too but that's a whole different subject for another day .

Buy yourself a cast net, if you can't buy it fresh you can always cast either in the surf (sand perch, speering and peanut bunker) or stop at one of the tidal marshes along route 9.

I never dropped or drug my reels through the sand and the Okumas were put through the same rigors as my other reels. On a serious note the cheap reels are not a bad option for some one not sure about whether or not this is something you want to peruse. You can always upgrade, if you buy the best and decide this is not for you, you will never recoup your money no matter how high end the gear might be.

Steve we can put something together for spring, not a tournament but just a real 101. Some time in mid to late may would be good, a mix of stripers, blues and sharks will be pretty active then. We should have a second tournament late in the fall when the stripers and big blues and occasional puppy drums are fattening up for the winter

• This has been very helpful. I have never been surf fishing at all.... lol.... and i have seen bob straight destory spot in the wash hahahaha.... right now i use a breakaway 10' 6" custom with a akios cts 5..... i have a 13 ft breakaway i use for 8 and bait in the winter..... unfortunately my shoulder has been to friendly on the cast with that rod anymore. Bob and i have had multiple discussions on conventional reels and spinning reels. But if you are used to using baitcasters in freshwater then using a conventional is no problem. Spring time you kind of gotta be the judge of how far you need to cast.... ideally at places like broadkill tide doesnt matter as much you might think. It will just change the species of fish your hitting. I have caught drum in dead low out there... and honestly have had some of the best fishing at low tide on broadkill... bad news is if high tide comes then you might be stranded out there. As far as bait... learn to toss a cast net. Isnt to hard. Goto cedar swap on the way down to the beach and in the spring you'll catch enough bunker you will be giving it away. And if you go conventional use mono... small test weight 12-15 pds... learn how to tie a albright knot and tie a 60-70# shockleader of mono to it. Shockleaders are usually 5 times the length of your rod... this keeps your line from snapping.

Ha , I knew it wouldn't take long for you to chime in !I dug out my stand up tuna gear and have a nice stand up roller rod with a Penn 113H set up with 80lb. Test, and found both fighting belts too. gonna try sharking off the beach this year. It's amazing how much crap I forgot that I had in storage.

• I like the pole holders.... can you remove them to put in the sand ?

Yessir! They have 2 quick disconnect pins on each to allow them to come off and set in the sand. Space in a Jeep is a premium so the less I have to stuff inside of it the better!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Yessir! They have 2 quick disconnect pins on each to allow them to come off and set in the sand. Space in a Jeep is a premium so the less I have to stuff inside of it the better!

Lol.

How tall are those things?

Do you need a step ladder to get the pole in tube when they are in the sand?

• Do you really want me to comment on something needed to go deeper? I typically put a block of wood on top my spike and beat it with my shovel to get it deeper. Its all stuff I gotta have anyway and if I forget my sandspike jI manage to rig it up into my chair just fine.

As for poles, I found myself a nice one at a yardsale last year and customized just right - there's no doubting its mine :)

If fishing in the dark, glow bracelets are nice on the top of the pole so you can see if you get a bite.

I'm one of those that's sets up a mini camp behind my jeep but I also have kids to keep entertained while I fish, I also don't like to burn so I want shade and I'm perfectly happy not laying out in the sun and wearing clothes (not like anyone wants to see my pale fat out there anyway :) )

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!