Throwout bearing acting up - Rausch trip this weekend

• So, over the last day or two, my TJ has been making a nice rumbling noise when idling, that goes away when you push the clutch in. I'm getting ready to turn 100k miles on my stock clutch, so I'm guessing the throwout bearing is on it's way out. Clutch still has plenty of grip in it. However, I'm supposed to go to Rausch this weekend with friends. Should I be worried about wheeling with a noisy throwout bearing, or will 2 days at Rausch risk it giving up entirely and leaving me stranded? I'm driving up and back - not trailering. Looking for advice...
    Thanks!

• I have absolutely no clue what that entails repair-wise but just my line of thought here, if it is a pretty essential part of the drivetrain and it's already on the outs then wheeling it @ RC is only going to wear and stress that part more possibly stranding you. If it were me, I'd replace it before the trip or cancel the trip altogether. I've been on the trail when the drivetrain goes (trans flooded @ Wharton) and it wasn't any fun getting off the trail and back to my wife's grandmother's house. Just my $.02

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Yeah, as much as I hate to cancel a trip I've been looking forward to, I want to be smart about it. I'm not afraid of tackling the repair, just don't have time before the trip. I guess I'm just wondering if this is one of those things that can take a bit of abuse, or if it falls in the category of "stop driving it IMMEDIATELY"...

• Wait a sec, If the throwout bearing is bad it will make noise as soon as pressure is applied to the clutch pedal. Pressure plate may be on its way out , or input bearing in the trans. Hows your trans oil? At 100k miles, would think clutch.. That said, new pilot and throw out bearings are good ideas when replacing a clutch.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• [size=2px]2004 TJ 5-speed, so does that make it a NV3550?[/size]
    I've owned it since 30k miles, and it's always made a little rattle, but it's NOTICEABLY worse now... definitely sounds like marbles in the bell housing, but performance is unaffected - clutch engages and it shifts like it always has.

I'm prepared to throw a clutch and throwout bearing at it, along with resurfacing the flywheel. I also have a grind when shifting from 1 to 2, so might have a trans shop take a look at that while it's apart. At almost 100k, it's due for some parts. Just wondering if the noise is the worst part, or if I am sitting on a grenade that will leave me stranded after a few hours of wheeling...

• What tranny do you have.

My NV3550 has always sounded like it was full of marbles when the clutch is not depressed.

This. What tranny? My NV3550 has been the same way from day 1. Also as mentioned the throwout being should make noise when the clutch is depressed.

The 1-2 grind is likely the snycros going and that would require them to tear into the trans which is a whole lot more than just having it apart for clutch, throwout bearing and flywheel resurface.

• Mine's always been a little "notchy" on the 1-2 shift also.

I've learned to live with it, I give it a half second to drop in and it never actually grinds,

Going to the Pennzoil Synchromesh did seem to help that.

• [size=2px]2004 TJ 5-speed, so does that make it a NV3550?[/size]
    I've owned it since 30k miles, and it's always made a little rattle, but it's NOTICEABLY worse now... definitely sounds like marbles in the bell housing

Are you sure about where the sound is coming from? Cause that's exactly the noise my catalytic converter makes. Been going on for awhile. I was convinced it was the clutch it throw out at first till I climes under for a good check.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!