From BMJA - Paragon Bust

• how far are tired allowed to go beyond the flares? and if a person tagged with de plates is legal in de, are they still subject to be pulled over in another state?

• That sucks BAD :doh:

Maybe next time we send out the worst guy first as a distraction and then the rest of us go the other way. We could all split up the first guys fines and be better off :suspicious: :suspicious: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "Jon"

how far are tired allowed to go beyond the flares? and if a person tagged with de plates is legal in de, are they still subject to be pulled over in another state?

Tony
    Recently posted that the inspection people told him
    In Delaware you can have 1.5 of a tread showing

• I wonder why all the attention at Paragon all of a sudden? My guess is that some of the hunters have friends in high places and are still mad because the PAP will not allow them to hunt on their land. When PAP first opened up, that was a huge issue.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• In PA you can have 0 tire sticking out from under the flares, not to mention fender flares larger than 3" unless OEM are technically illegal. Yes it sucks but it it the law, so I don't see why everyone on BMJA's panties are in a bunch. And BTW it doesn't matter if you are out of state or not, in PA it is enforceable to everyone no matter where the vehicle is registered. Just be aware of this when you go to paragon

• Im pretty sure that I would get thrown out in court, if you were a delaware resident and within Delawares laws. Each state has thier own vehicle laws for a reason and they cant expect residents from other states to follow them. Its one thing if the vehicle was grossly unsafe.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Quote from "turtle"

The way PA vehicle code reads, any vehicle operated in the state of PA has to conform to the safety standards, the PA safety inspection standards are a whole different animal.

I'd tend to agree with Ed, though...I'd be willing to bet you could get off in court. I was pulled over for the tinted windows on my car in Baltimore last year and the worst the officer could do was give me a warning as I was out of state (didn't stop him, though, from holding me up for 1/2 hour running my plates and taking his sweet assed time)

--Ian

• Both you guys are probably right.

It is more than likely illegal regardless of the state your inspected in and I'm sure if they could fine you. They probably include flares as some sort of safety equipment like seat belts or a motorcycle helmet.

Would it get thrown out in court? No doubt BUT that means you'd have to take a day off work (losing pay or a vacation day), drive all the way up there (probably a couple times because of court delays) and then be thinking the entire time, "....is this hassle really worth $105?..."

So the real question becomes: Is it worth the hassle and harrassment?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• This does concern me
    I am looking to go full width axles 65" WMS to WMS
    I have the ford 9" and the waggy 44 ready to build
    my tires will stick out like 3" on each side.

Wider flares will help....I hope :shrug:

• Quote from "BBD"

This does concern me
    I am looking to go full width axles 65" WMS to WMS
    I have the ford 9" and the waggy 44 ready to build
    my tires will stick out like 3" on each side.

Wider flares will help....I hope :shrug:

i dont know exactly how that works...but i believe they cannot pull over someone out of state for a state regulated rule. so you delaware/maryland people should be fine.....me on the other hand......

• Sorry, I did mean no tread, but yes you can have the sidewall sticking out. I am 110% sure if you are out of state you will get a ticket. In PA they are general safety violations not inspection violations and apply to every vehicle that travels through the commonwealth, I would guess fighting it is an option but the officer will still ticket you. I have known at least 5 out of staters ticketed for tires outside of the fender flares. Don't know the final outcome so it would be just a guess

One thing to remember, this is the second time in 2 years that the state police have done this at Paragon, ifyou think of the thousands of vehicles that have gone to paragon, the odds that it will happen to you are very low, hell if they pulled over 8 out of 200 vehicles that day the odds arent too bad. But this is the reason I like to keep my vehicle as close to street legal as possible. Elff was snagged twice in one month by local cops in west chester for the same thing, so he went to bigger flares. So this doesn't only happen around Paragon, you need to be mindful of this if you are driving through PA

• A guy on another forum I frequent who sounded like a PA officer said that when it comes to an out of stater being on PA roads it is up to the officers discretion on whether or not he wants to give the ticket.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!