My Jeep is a Succubus

• Been trying to get my YJ road legal single July. I went out for a spin around the neighborhood last night in preparation for another shot at emissions today. While stopped at a stop sign, I went from 1st to reverse and found that it no longer existed. Matter of fact the transmission is now stuck in gear somewhere between 3rd and 5th. I can maneuver the shifter in neutral and can locate 3rd and 4th, but all other gears have magically disappeared. There are no horrific metal munching noises, nor did I hear or feel anything break. The gearshift still feels solid. Clutch works. I had to put the transfer case in neutral in order to move the vehicle.

I am beginning to think that Jeep ownership is like a long uncomfortable marriage to a Succubus. You get all the soul-sucking side effects, but without the sweet action.

YJ is an '87 6cyl MT, 173K miles

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• same thing was up with a tranny i had. the ax15 isnt a very good trans. not a trans tech but sounds like ur in the market for a new one :doh:

u can find them pretty cheap on the net used

• Park it over a pentagram painted in transmission fluid. You will need to sacrifice various small auto parts, Alternators, starters, carbs, radiators, anything you've got. Smash them in full visibility to the Jeep. Chanting in Latin is a plus. You may also want to take off your clothes and cover yourself in used motor oil. Oh, and please set up a web cam so we can watch.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• dont think that would be an easy swap,

Big 3 questions....
    Transfer case compatibility?
    Drive Shaft lengths?
    Bell Housing?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Without getting some DNA, I should have the AX15. Frankly, don't know a darn thing about who/what the T4 is. Wasn't it a Terminator?

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Without doing a little research, I thought I had an AX15. With a little research, I should have the Peugeot BA-10.

Great...I have a little French in me.

I feel so dirty...

Anyhoo, ideas on simply/cheap replacements?

• Best easy swap is AX15 for the Pew-goat . But if you really want a nice upgrade go with a NV3500 + Atlas II 4:1 xfer case.

• I was thinking of 1 more gear.
    How much for the trans?
    I would have to unload mine as well ;D

You sale your's to Skip...and I sale the T-4 to you. :up:
    He has an '87 and you have an '88, are they the same tranny?

• ... You may also want to take off your clothes and cover yourself in used motor oil. Oh, and please set up a web cam so we can watch.

Steve

*Blink* *Blink*

Is it normal for you to want to watch overweight white guys naked and covered with motor oil?

And I thought I had problems...

• the 87's tranny being the pu-junk means that the t-case is an NP207 not a 231. the spline count I believe is different that the AX-15. I think thats what I remember from mine. So you would need a tcase to match your new AX-15. the 207 looks the same as a 231 but the oiler inside is somehow different. You cant put a slip yoke conversion on it.

• *Blink* *Blink*

Is it normal for you to want to watch overweight white guys naked and covered with motor oil?

And I thought I had problems...

Purely for the entertainment purposes.

• Purely for the entertainment purposes.

*Blink* *Blink*

Is it normal for you to consider overweight white guys naked and covered with motor oil, entertainment?

• the 87's tranny being the pu-junk means that the t-case is an NP207 not a 231. the spline count I believe is different that the AX-15. I think thats what I remember from mine. So you would need a tcase to match your new AX-15. the 207 looks the same as a 231 but the oiler inside is somehow different. You cant put a slip yoke conversion on it.

Before coming to work today, I put my head under the belly of the beast and checked the transfer case. It is labeled as a 231.

I'll take a look at the tranny tonight.

• Trans is definately a BA-10.

On the plus side I found a 1967 SM420.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!