xj with snorkel

• I just got an 90 XJ with a snorkle the problem im having is that the pcv valve?? was replaced with a breather so instead of the line going from the top of the valve cover going into the air box.. it has a breather.. it seems to put oil out the top which ends up on the exaust where is crosses over behind the oil pan.. so at highway speeds it becomes the spy hunter vehicle complete with smoke screen.. anyone know why its doing this and how I can rectify it.. i have had a few other jeeps that put a little oil out there.. usually it goes right into the air filter and is burnt off by the engine.. I am looking for any suggestions here thanx
    Rob

• i think you should have two lines runnin off of your valve cover. first, a vacuum line from the front valve cover port that runs to a vacuum source on your intake manifold. it keeps the air moving and recirculating. second, there should be a line from the valve cover's rear port that connects to the aft side of your intake's air box. this is where the fresh air is drawn from. most times when you have the oil leaking down everywhere it's because of the source of vacuum being lost due to the line clogging up with crud. once that happens there is no positive source of vacuum, oil will be pushed backwards into the airbox, saturate your filter, and start working its way up your intake tube and into your intake. yeah, makes everything run like crap. it also will start pushing oil out of every available seam in the system since there is a positive air pressure in the valve cover instead of a negative.

i'd start by checking out those two lines i mentioned and making sure they are clear of obstructions and working as advertised.
    chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!