tailgate lock broken

• Let me start this by saying.................i did something stupid. I have a speaker box in the back of my TJ that takes up the entire back almost to the top of the seat. It's a tight fit when I close the tailgate and has been since I put the box in back in March. About 2 weeks ago my tailgate started popping open even when it's locked. When I push it shut, it catches but the tailgate still has about a 1/4 inch of play in it. Everytime I hit a bump the &%&#$@% thing pops open. This weekend I'm going to either chisel out a section of the box or just build a slightly smaller one if I can. The box is holding 2 down firing 12" subs so there's not allot of room on the width.

Anyone have an idea on what's wrong with the lock/catch. I have a feeling that's it's still going to do this with the box out of the way. Is there something I can tighten up or something?

• ??? hmmm, check and make sure that the screws that secure the latch assembly to the tail gate are still there. if so just tighten them up. had it happen to me a while back. just a thought and my 2 pennies worth

Richard™©®

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!