Supercharger question

• Anyone have any experience with superchargers and the 4.0 motor? I seriously thinking about it for my 2004 TJ automatic. Specifically, I think I like the Kenne Bell Twin Screw 5.5psi and looking so see if anyone in the club is running one. Also trying to find someone "experienced" to install it. (don't think I want to mess with it myself) I have a few contacts who do alot of "import tuning" on honda's and toyota's but not sure I want them messing with my Jeep. Any thoughts would be appreciated..............................

• kennel belle sucks to deal with, they sell and give you no help when the kit starts running like crap like they always do...i've seen so many kits that have so much money into them computer and piggy back computers to make it work right they wish they just did a v8 swap...

• Any suggestions on a better kit or are your comments in reference to superchargers in general? A friend has his vette supercharged with a Kenne Bell and hasn't had any problems in 1 1/2 years. Slightly different set-up though (lol) and he had it installed in michigan before he moved out here.

• honestly the best and most beneficial thing i have seen so far is the turbo kit from www.505performance.com comes with everything you need and cheaper than the charger kits....the guy who makes these told me the stock motor and turbo combination on tj will beat a small block 350 yj on the quater mile all day...hes done testing.

• $3500 for that turbo kit is very reasonable and it should last longer and run circles around the KB supercharger. The Split-Second fuel system has a good reputation as well. The only thing I would question them on is the use of an air-cooled Super 60 turbo. It probably wouldn't a problem or much of an issue to add a water-cooled model.

• honestly the best and most beneficial thing i have seen so far is the turbo kit from www.505performance.com comes with everything you need and cheaper than the charger kits....the guy who makes these told me the stock motor and turbo combination on tj will beat a small block 350 yj on the quater mile all day...hes done testing.

Because Jeeps are racecars... J/k Why not get AEV to swap you into a Hemi with all that dough??? Only 19,000...

• Do you want street speed, or trail brute? At lower RPMs on the trail, you'll get more from the SC (you won't have to wait for a turbo to spool), but the turbo will be better on the street (less parasitic loss to the system).

As far as product advise, I got nothing, sorry.

Kevin

• Because Jeeps are racecars... J/k Why not get AEV to swap you into a Hemi with all that dough??? Only 19,000...

atcually i have no idea where you got that price at because the hemi conversion minus motor we sell for $3k and the Brute kit for a TJ is only $9k, Quadratec sells all of the AEV stuff now and we have wheels in stock too. The 17" ones are on the way. We also sell the Highline Fender kit, i think its aroun $2k. We actually have a brute at work right now with the Highline Fender kit on a 2.5" OME with 37" IROKs.

• Do you want street speed, or trail brute? At lower RPMs on the trail, you'll get more from the SC (you won't have to wait for a turbo to spool), but the turbo will be better on the street (less parasitic loss to the system).

As far as product advise, I got nothing, sorry.

Kevin

the guys says the turbo spools up almost instantly because the 4.0 makes all the power down low, ;D

• 505 PERFORMANCE STATE THAT THEIR TURBO KIT WORK ON 4.0L JEEP FROM 87-2003? THAT SUCKS I WANT ONE!

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Thanks for all the information. I'll definitely investigate the turbo kits. As far as what I'm trying to get out of it, we'll I want to run 35's and not feel like I'm struggling on the road to do 65 mph when I'm going uphill. I have 33's right now and getting ready to purchase/tow a 4-wheeler around. Even without towing anything, I feel underpowered.

As far as an engine swap, I'd love to but I'm not even close to a mechanic and afford parts + labor for something like that. I figured the SC or turbo would come in substancially less.

Hey - what changed from 03 to 04 that would make the 505 kit not work?

• But, really that is alot of money for what you are getting. If you could make your own turbo manifold and piping then you could build the system for way less. The only custom pieces on the system are the piping. So, everything else is available to buy seperate. I know a fair share of turbos, how they work, and the components of a turbo system. I've had 2 turbo vehicles, an srt-4 and an evo-8. And most complete turbo systems even then are only around $1500 and $2000. If you have the money and don't want to deal with the hassle get the system, but if you want cheaper and get the same results then piece it together.

• atcually i have no idea where you got that price at because the hemi conversion minus motor we sell for $3k and the Brute kit for a TJ is only $9k, Quadratec sells all of the AEV stuff now and we have wheels in stock too. The 17" ones are on the way. We also sell the Highline Fender kit, i think its aroun $2k. We actually have a brute at work right now with the Highline Fender kit on a 2.5" OME with 37" IROKs.

I went to their website back in the summer just for sh*** and giggles. They'll only do hemi swaps with automatic trannys, they keep your jeep for about 2-3 weeks if I remember right. They install the motor, then run it for 200 miles as a road test and you get it back. With a new hemi it was 19K with a used it brought it down to like 13K. I tried getting back on their website and it seems as though it's under construction.

• i think there are a few things that are neglected to be mentioned, one i like wippels stuff they make a twin screw, but im not sure if they make one for the 4.0.

now you said you want to tow wiht it, i would say get a super charger over a turbo, a twin screw( or a root screw) creates has a flat line psi curve so its has the same psi at 500 rps as it does at 5000, its good for towing so you get more hp at the low rpms, and jeep uses a inline setup beasue its it makes good torque, as compaired to a v6 set up.

now a turbo or needs rpms to make the pressure which is why you see them on ricers casue they reave up to like 5 6 grand,

now a i dont want to insult intelagence, so this is just to help
    but a turbo uses exhaust to run,
    and super chargters are belt driven so its till a super charger its it uses a turbine, but they call it a turbo charger, same thing as a turbo just uses a belt not exhaust. but heres a good web site it breaks everything down and lets you figure out what you want then beraks down the top manufacturs and who makes what for what rides

http://www.superchargersonline.com/?source=google

hope this helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!