Question about Paragon on the 26th

• BlueJ, I didn't want to steal your thread about the assistant trail boss on the 26th so I am starting this

I have never been to Paragon, so I am not exactly sure how the park works. I know by reading the calendar and being on Blue Mountain's page that their Jeep 101 is that day as well, questions

1) How does this work, I mean would this be a bad day to go for the first time with at least 2 trail rides definitely being there and I am sure more that I don't know about

2) If it is not a bad day to go, which ,in the DEJA's people opinions, would be a better group to go with as far as learning ins and outs of trail riding for a stocker (I went several years ago to the fire trails in Aston in a Zuki, that is the extent of my knowledge). Please know I spend a lot of time reading these boards and will in the near future join, but for the 26th if I want to learn who should I go with

If this doesn't belong here, sorry and please feel free to move it

• You have to crawl before you can walk. A guy I work w/ came out for the first time in a well equipped jeep. I thought he was going to cry by the time he took his third bypass at RC. It was b/c he had never been on a trail before. So my suggestion is to start small and as you gain confidence, then move forward.

just my $0.02

Artie

• Jeepartie, I fully understand that I was just reading the calendar and I said all levels of jeep welcome, I just wondering which group might have those with enough patience for a newbie

• I would say stick with DeJA for your first trail run. I feel they will look after you alittle better and make sure you get home safely.

• Thanks Fly-n, I was already leaning towards you guys, from what I have read from BMJA the 101 ride sound more like a green fields ride, and while I am a stocker I don't think I will learn much. Besides the trail rides I have read on here it definitely sounds like you guys get it done right.

That answer my second question how about the the first, do you guys think it will be too packed to get a good first understanding of trail riding

P.S. The jeep looks good, I am think about the RE 4.5 w/3in spring, if you have time and it not a bother could PM and let me know what you think about that set up

• We always have runs appropriate for each level Jeep/driver. In other words we will have a appropriate group for you, if you come. Also I like doing stocker runs with DeJA b/c the stock group is the small group which means you get to do more and get more attention. I imagine the Jeep 101 will be packed with stockers.

The only thing you really need for your Jeep for the trip is front rear tow hooks. They are a must. It is not a matter of if you will get stuck just a question if when (if there is no chace getting stuck where is the fun :shrug: : :grin: )

-James

• Welcome Monkey!

You'll have lots of fun, however you get started. First of all, Paragon is HUGE, so even on busy days (100's of vehicles) there is plenty of room for everyone.

I don't know the levels of people who are considering joining DeJA for the ride on 9/26 yet, so I can't say how many we'll have who are new. It's pretty certain that there will be way more people in the BMJA 101 class than we have with us. We look forward to introducing our hobby to new folks, so we'll be plenty patient getting you started.

I think the BMJA 101 class spends the whole morning talking and doing demonstrations, and then the afternoon on the trails. We probably will not spend much time talking before we hit the trails. There is a lot of value in attending the 101 class, but it does not necessarily have to be before you start trail riding. I went to their 101 at Country Chrysler in Hamburg PA after I had been riding for more than 6 months, and it was still worth it. BMJA will probably sponsor another one in the spring, you can go check it out then. DeJA also did a classroom 101 type course a while back...maybe we can look into resurrecting that.

Feel free to post if you have any additional questions!

• Monkey, please tell us more about your Jeep.

I think a big thing is that people build up there Jeeps and go out on the trail without letting anyone know that it is your first time on the trails. That leaves the people in charge assume that the Jeep can do a particular trail level, but the driver may not have the experience or want to do that level of trails.

That said, coming out with a Deja group, in my opinion, would be best. A lot of guys that have built up rigs don't want to run extreme trails every single time they go out. Also starting out on lower level trails lets the driver learn the capabilities of the jeep and himself/herself. I know when I first started out, I would look at an obstacle and think to myself that there is no way I can do that. But with the help of fellow deja members, I was able to get over it.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

• Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses, I have been trying to go up there since I got mine in the beginning of June but every weekend something has come up , well this time forget about about, I have to go to Baltimore on Saturday the 25th, but I am going to be at WAWA come hell or high water

Sahara, I have a stock Rubicon (with a dreams of bigness), no disco nothing, I was going to wait on getting JKS until I saved enough for the RE 4.5 lift, tires and CV DS, but I have no problem wrenching the stock links when I get there for the time being

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!