Back in business

• Disclaimer:
    I went mudding on saturday with the full intention of pushing my jeep well beyond it's breaking point. Mission accomplished.

Problems:
    After saturday's mudding run, my XJ was flat-lined.
    Transmission wouldn't shift out of first
    Transfer case wouldn't let it out of 4-lo
    The engine was stalling out when not accelerating
    Extremely rough/high idle
    Exhaust smells like crap

Solutions:
    2 days of drying out
    1 new TPS
    2 Quarts of fresh gear oil in both diffs
    3.5 Quarts of fresh transmission fluid (Probably not needed, old fluid actually looked good)
    1 Reset of engine error codes w/OBD2 scanner

Results:
    Neutral coasting fixed the 2-Lo problem
    TPS seems to have fixed the stalling & rough idle
    Drying out and/or TPS helped with the shifting, it is now at pre-mudding quality
    Exhaust still smells like crap. Time will tell if I fouled my new O2 sensors...

So I still need to clean up my NSS, I was having problems with it prior to saturday. I also still need to change the actual oil. Total money spent on repairs was about $150, 45 of which was the TPS, 25+/- of that was the Transmission filter which I am returning, and that included full cases of oil & transmission fluid, which I now have enough for 2-3 more flushes.

My front diff oil was cement grey, I think because I have a pinion seal leak in the back. My rear diff oil looked really good when I pulled it, but changed it for good measure anyway.

I'm ready to go mudding again!

• Oh yeah, thanks to Copesetic for hanging out with me till like 12AM last night fixing all this stuff, and for re-doing my defective Zerk fittings on my outer axle seals.

Considering mine and his were defective, you would think $75 axle seals would at least come with a decent set of Zerk fittings....

• Are you guys running the Alloy USA outer seals? If so, what exactly is "bad" with them? I'm VERY curious because I just ordered mine last night....... :help:. Also, if it's an issue on their end, have you called them to complain? Word on the street is they are VERY good about warranty work on their products. Let us know.

• Are you guys running the Alloy USA outer seals? If so, what exactly is "bad" with them? I'm VERY curious because I just ordered mine last night....... :help:. Also, if it's an issue on their end, have you called them to complain? Word on the street is they are VERY good about warranty work on their products. Let us know.

The Zerk fittings are defective, they will not accept grease. 1 of mine, and 2 of Copesetic's were bad. I'll probably give them a call sometime soon, but we've already replaced the fittings.

I consider this minor though, I still like the seal, and would recommend it. Anything to keep the mud out and the gear oil in.... ;D

• both Zeke and I have (red) Superior axle tube seals in the front. and the Spring in the zerk fitting does not stay in it pops out the back. I would recommend pulling the zerk fitting if it hard as hell to pump grease in to. what happens is the little metal ball goes in the hole too far and clogs the fitting and the spring is sticking out the other end. a box of new fittings is 5 bucks from pep boy's takes 5 mins to swap out. but yes I think the Superior axle tube seals Zerk fittings are defective. Zeke might be able to complain since he just bought his but I don't have any clue how old mine are... so 5 bucks will fix 4 seals.... and you will have extra for next time.

Steve.

• The Zerk fittings are defective, they will not accept grease. 1 of mine, and 2 of Copesetic's were bad. I'll probably give them a call sometime soon, but we've already replaced the fittings.

I consider this minor though, I still like the seal, and would recommend it. Anything to keep the mud out and the gear oil in.... ;D

If they were alloy usa seals, they would just exchange them for new ones.... Alloy USA warranty is everything it is said to be... No questions just here's your new shaft or seal

As for the seals holding in the gear oil... That is not there intended purpose... and if they are infact holding in gear oil, your inner seals are toast and need to be replaced very soon as the axle tube on a Dana 30 should not have any gear oil in it whatso ever.... The dana 30 or and front axle for that matter is not like a rear axle where you need the tubes full of gear oil to keep the axle bearing lubed.....

• ya we are talking about the outer seals nothing to do with gear oil.. more to keep dirt and water out of the tube from the out side... the ones with grease fittings on them....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!