1997 Jeep TJ manual 5 speed drain and fill bolts???

• are these bolts or plugs on the drivers side or passenger side,It looks like I would have to remove my skid plate to get to the drain plug correct.Anyone??,I have all my parts to do this with but just looking to find out where these bolts or located.I dont see any allen bolts,I just see normal bolts.

• 1997 4.0 banger with 5 speed manual-----The fluid I purchased and installed in my manual transmission is designed for the NV3550 even tho my tranny is either a ax-5 or a ax-15,do you think I will hurt the tranny for using this type of fluid.It is mopar part #04874464

• on mine ('03 sport) it's a fairly large allen wrench plug - somewhere in the neighborhood of 17mm...but i think that was only on the NV3550 that they went with that plug. but for what it's worth my fill and drain plugs can both be reached without removing the factory skids. i use(d) pennzoil synchromesh in mine - didn't feel much of a change but there were pretty low miles at the time when i did the swap. since then though i've had some synchro problems with the tranny - first and second gear mesh problems. but - i heard that's a common symptom of the tranny so i wouldn't blame it on the synchromesh fluid. good luck!
    chris

• I did it!!,Drain bolt is on passenger side and the fill is on the drivers side.At first I used the wrong type of fluid.I used fluid for the newer trannys on the 03 and 04's,I dranied that fluid and I went to pep boys and bought the correct stuff.The orginal fluid I had in there was nice and gray almost black so I guess it was time for a change.

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!