T-case or rear differential

• Hello everyone.
    Here is the deal, I was driving on I-95 when I hit a small pot hole in my 97 TJ (2" spring lift with 32" BFG's M/T) it made an awful sound when the clutch wasn't pushed in. My first thought was that the clutch lost a spring or something. After further investigation, it is not my clutch because I can put it into 4high and drive (I am not sure as to which wheels actually have power to them). It slips in 2hi and will not move very much. Could this mean that my t-case is alright and that my rear has gone bad?

• most likely spider gears, happened to me once with the D35 just driving down the road, seems weird that you just hit a pot hole and this would happen.

try jacking up the rear so both tires are off the ground with the jeep in gear and have someone hold one side and you try to spin the other, if you have slipping or bad noises then its deff the spider gears.

• simple enough.

I was gonna disconnect the rear drive shaft from the t-case, start it put, and see if the noise went away.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!