BMJA Turkey Ride - 11/20

• For you DeJA/BMJA members who signed up for the Turkey Ride on Saturday November 20, please indicate if you want to join up for the ride north. It'll probably be crowded, so I'd like to hit the road a little earlier than normal. Post what you have in mind...

• It was pretty much as expected. Cool, windy, raining, muddy. The only thing missing was the snowstorm. At least the tent had sides that stopped the wind, so we could eat the great food without gloves. Deep fried turkey, stuffing, gravy, and all the rest was excellent. Good desserts too, and a fire out side the tent to warm yourself around.

Wheeling was somewhat short... pulled out of the staging area about 10:15 as the backdoor for Jerry Lake's group. Since he only knows how to get to Whompum, that's what we did. We started off on the big hill climb, which had a big rock on the right side to complicate things, put with the gas pedal down I cruised up the hill. It caught up to me a few minutes later as we entered the woods, as I heard a steady PFFT from the right side. I got out and saw my right rear tire totally flat, with a big ding in the rim. Not wanting to lift the spare tire, I got out a BFH and my CO2 tank, beat the ding out of the rim, and aired back up. It held fine for the rest of the day.

So we completed middle and upper Whompum before lunch, and then headed off for the turkey. After lunch we went back for lower Whompum, then I guided Jerry to the three legs of Chicken Run. We were going to do Drumstick before finishing up, but we spent some time as someone removed the his left front shock from his YJ (the bottom bracket had broken off). By that time, it was about 3:00, and we had to be off the trails by 4:00 (winter hours), so we called it a day.

I enjoyed the ride and the lunch, so I was happy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!