? about 97 wrangler

• looking into buying a 97 wrangler 4cylinder/manual trans. How much am i looking at to replace the 4 banger or maybe dropping a inline 6 in. What do you guys recommend. This would be my first wrangler.

• It would probably be more cost effective to just find a TJ with a 6 cyl. in it already. There are plenty of them around, at a decent price.

• Well if you replace the engine then most likely the t case has a 21 spline count because thats what the 4 usually came with. A 6 needs a 23 spline count for the t case, soooo you either need to use an adapter to keep the 21 spline or replace the t case as well. :shrug:

• i had the same idea. i completed this task, figure the cost of the 4.0 and the tranny the transfer case and the wiring. you also need to come up with a set of the motor mounts that are welded to the frame they are different. if you want drop me an email and ill give you a total cost of the conversion to 4.0. i can also tell you of where to get most of the hard to find factory pieces for the conversion. ill buy your 4 cyl. jeep and you will make good money on it. my next will have a chevy v8. good luck

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!