YJ question

• Last week a friend was trying to get his YJ fixed and inspected in time for a surf fishing trip we had planned. Of course any time you need to get a vehicle through inspection just prior to needing it, they pick it apart and fail it. His emissions failed, which was fixed, how ever they also failed him for missing his third brake light. The jeep was purchased in PA and didnt have one at the time of purchase. When it was inspected and tagged in DE the first time, they did not raise the issue and the jeep was tagged no problem. I don't ever recall seeing a YJ with a third brake light, however the DMV insists that all vehicles after 94 required a 3rd brakelight. My question is, did YJ's come with 3rd brake lights?

The quick fix for his third brakelight was a round 2in LED trailer light. The light was mounted in the center of the spare tire. They failed that because they said it was too small. What exactly is the law on 3rd brakelights? I have never heard of them having to be a certain size either.

• Any Jeep over a 1992 needs a third brake light.

As far as I know there is no size limit this was a judgment call on their part.

I put a 2.5" round light on my tailgate to get mine passed

• he finally got it through with some work and backyard engineering. the well thought out plan failed but the temporary rig job passed. I don't get those people.

• Any jeep 94 and newer needs a third brake light.
    (Mine is a 93 and I love the fact that I don't need a third brake light) 8)

93 YJ 5spd w/ 4.10s, 3.5&WCF_AMPERSAND" black diamond suspension lift, 33&WCF_AMPERSAND" BFG all-terrains, crager 397s, alpine mp3 head unit and amp, 4.0TB, K&amp;N air intake<br />2008 Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7 V8 (no mods yet, but prob soon)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!