Any one do a chevy 350 install on any wrangler or cj? need advice

• I'm slowly getting threw a V8 converson on my yj and in order to fit it I bought a conversion crossmember that bolts to existing frame wholes under the hood and then had it welded in place. this crossmember has the motor mounts for the V8 already in place as many of you are probably familiar with. (If you're not familiar, i would look it up if you are thinking about doing the swap because it made fitting it into place very simple). Anyway, the cross member makes it impossible to use the stock, motor-mounted fuel pump so it recommends covering the stock pump hole and installing an inline pump. It then goes on to say "remove in tank fuel pump from jeep" or else the inline fuel pump wont work. Could anyone better explain to me why you can not run two fuel pumps, the stock in tank jeep pump and an inline fuel pump, if in fact the stock jeep pump is insufficient? My rationale is that the inline pump would just not have to work as hard, but i'm guessing it is not that simple. If anyone has an explanation and/or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, web searching is failing me.

• I'm slowly getting threw a V8 converson on my yj and in order to fit it I bought a conversion crossmember that bolts to existing frame wholes under the hood and then had it welded in place. this crossmember has the motor mounts for the V8 already in place as many of you are probably familiar with. (If you're not familiar, i would look it up if you are thinking about doing the swap because it made fitting it into place very simple). Anyway, the cross member makes it impossible to use the stock, motor-mounted fuel pump so it recommends covering the stock pump hole and installing an inline pump. It then goes on to say "remove in tank fuel pump from jeep" or else the inline fuel pump wont work. Could anyone better explain to me why you can not run two fuel pumps, the stock in tank jeep pump and an inline fuel pump, if in fact the stock jeep pump is insufficient? My rationale is that the inline pump would just not have to work as hard, but i'm guessing it is not that simple. If anyone has an explanation and/or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, web searching is failing me.

Based on your profile I assume that the factory setup in your YJ was EFI...if it's an engine mounted fuel pump I assume that it's a carbed 350. In this case, yes, you'll want to remove the factory in-tank pump as EFI systems run at much higher pressures (45-ish depending on the make) than a carb setup (likely in the 6-10 range). You'll need a low pressure external pump but keep in mind that most fuel pumps function better pushing fuel so you'll want to mount it close to the tank. If I'm totally off base and it's an EFI 350 you could likely get away with just the factory pump or even swapping the factory intank for something like a Walbro 255 which would easily feed a healthy NA 350.

--Ian

• Nope you were right on target. Sorry I should have put that info in there the first time around. The 350 is carb...for now anyway..so thanks for the advice.

• I'm not sure but you might have a problem getting it inspected if you plan on going from a fuel injection engine to a carbed engine. Something to look into anyway.

• could you message me all the details and pics you have of ur swap i will be doing one in the winter or spring time what tranny t case and axels are you gonna run?

• yea, thats a concern of mine, i got the vapor canister from the v8 and i'm gona try to find the most efficient cat. converter i can find and hope for the best. And i'll take it to them for inspection early and they fail me, then i'll need to come up with another idea. Maybe the 1000 dollar propane conversion!! :shrug: but my pocket isnt really feeling that ambitious as of now

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!