Wont shift into park or 1st

• So I went to put my tj into park and it wouldnt go. Upon investivation, its the button in the shifter. Not pushing the mechanism down far enough to get it into park or 1st. Anybody know how to remedy this issue? Or how to take the top of the shifter apart so I can maybe put some silicone in there?

Edit............. Its crazy what you find when you search. Disregard post.

• take the palm of your hand and give the top of the shifter a good smack downwards. sometimes the t handle lifts slightly causing your prob.i said sometimes,but common

• take the palm of your hand and give the top of the shifter a good smack downwards. sometimes the t handle lifts slightly causing your prob.i said sometimes,but common

Thanks, but I talked to one guy that had the same problem that i do. He had the bar inside it break. I think thats what I got too, but I'll try your fix first! its the cheapest. lol

• Update:

I checked it out, and sure enough, the center bar through the shifter column was broken. (plastic) Where it was broken, the two peices where they meet were sliding past each other, thus causing it to not push the bar down far enough to shift out of park. (or into park) So I rigged it up with an electrical butt conector and it worked! The only thing to watch out for if you run into this yourself is to not put something too long in there. This will cause the gear shift to be able to shift from drive to reverse, or drive to 2nd without pushing the button. For example, your driving down the road at 60mph and someone bumps it into reverse........ not good!!!! Luckily I caught this before I went out driving and fixed it by making the connector smaller. Dont get me wrong, this isnt the correct way to do it, but it'll do till I get out to get a new assembly to fix it new again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!