transfer case bolt

• Last week when I was installing a Skid Row plate on the YJ, I noticed that there is a bolt that seems to attach the transfer case to the big factory skid in the middle of the frame. That bolt is installed nut down, such that the nut is on the outside of the skid facing the ground. Somewhere I've struck that nut hard and the bolt is now tweaked and loose. My transfer case now rattles a bit under torque. Is that as easy a fix as it looks? Just break off the bent and tweaked bolt/nut and put another one in? Wouldn't I want a rounded head bolt facing up, putting the nut up inside the skid?

• Steve:
    Does this bolt come out the bottom of the skid plate?

if so it attaches to the rear transmission mount.
    This bolt is designed to prevent twisting of the tranny.

• THAT'S THE ONE!!!

Is it just a thru hole on the tranny, so I can just go to Dover Hardware and replace the bolt/nut? It makes sense to turn it up so a rounded head takes the hits, right?

• Quote from "DrJ"

THAT'S THE ONE!!!

Is it just a thru hole on the tranny, so I can just go to Dover Hardware and replace the bolt/nut? It makes sense to turn it up so a rounded head takes the hits, right?

Steve, it may take a little more than that

This Bolt / stud has two threaded ends.

on end bolts to the skid plate it then has a smooth area that two rubber bushings ride on. Note these bushings are not tight thet are made loose to give the tranny a little flex

Yours may not be bad unless it is bent badly.

• It is loose enough to be rattling.

If I wanted to order the new stud, bolts and bushings, would the dealer be the only choice?

• Quote from "DrJ"

It is loose enough to be rattling.

If I wanted to order the new stud, bolts and bushings, would the dealer be the only choice?

the bolt should not rattle the bushings going through the tranny mount
    are rubber. and the other end on bolted the the slid plate.

I'll check on other locations to buy the bolt.

Are you sure the rattle is comming from the transfer case?
    If it sounds like small rocks in a tim can it is your cat. converter.

If it is the transfer case.... first thing is to check the fluid level.

• Also, while on the trails this weekend, if I hit the gas a bit for a little extra power, I'd hear a sharp, loud knock like a single rock being thrown up into the fender well. That's actually what I thought it was until I noticed the exact same noise each time I hit the gas quickly. Then I remembered finding that loose bolt, and figured it was the tranny lifting up on that mount.

• [quote="BBD"]Here is a good look at the bolt

Yeah, the one on the far left is the one I've found loose. I called the dealer, they don't have a listing for the part. Anyone got an idea who to go to?

• I don't think so Joe, not that prominent a thud (I've had that problem before on a diff. vehicle). Fred found the stud/bushings, so I'll replace these pieces and torque the YJ a bit to see if it stops. Got to try the easy thing first.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!