Electrical problem, gettin' real mad.

• A little while ago I noticed that my volt meter was not where it should be. I would turn the lights on and the volts would drop to barely 12, I would turn the blinkers on and watch the meter go back and forth and the Jeep would cut out for a split second. I figured I need a new alternator, I just put a Powermaster 140 amp in last July mind you. Maybe it went bad, I had it tested...bad. Then replaced it with my old stock one and same problems. Ok, that one was bad too, it made noises....so whatever. I got another new Powermaster free under warranty and put that in about a week and a half ago. Went to the beach and drove it around.... good, fixed. Now it is doing the same thing, Gettin' real ticked the F off. The regulator on those are in the alternator, what else could be causing this problem? Anyone have any ideas, this is getting on my nerves.

• I had a friend who had a similar problem that went away when he replaced the volt meter. I don't know how that meter could be causing the voltage regulator to fail, but there it is.

The other thing you might want to check is your battery tie down. If your battery is rocking or bouncing then the terminals could be grounding and causing a short circuit across your charging circuit. It wouldn't hurt the windings or brushes on the alternator but the voltage regulator is all solid state and won't take much juice to screw it up.

Good luck.

• My tie down is rigged up but it works and its is an optima so thats ok I think. I will replace the gauge and see if that was it. thanks for the help.

• loki, I have the same thing with the wagon right now. new alts 2 of them new battery last sept. now i'm gonna start to replace cables, and see if that works. my alternator is working cause the jeep runs. but no charge is getting back to battery. I'm at 13 on my gauge. at the top of the red section.

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• I know this is elementary, but clean the battery terminals and cables connections, and it might go away...sound like bad connection somewhere.

• Loki,
    It might even be a broken or loose post in the battery. I had the same issue with the Yukon last month. Swap the battery with another to see. If thats not it something is causing your regulator to fry.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!