regearing a KJ

• Quote from "bmf24"

with 4.56 and your 30.8 or what ever tires, your top speed would be like 60, and you would get horrible milage.

so explain this to me because the way i understand it is when you go to bigger tires it drops you rpms. what I have said to do would put him back into the rpm range that his libby was running from the factory. if he went form a 38.7 tire to a 31 and 4.43 gear ratio would put him back at the exact factory rpm range at any speed. and if he went to a 32 in tire then a 4.57 gear ratio would put him back to the same rpm at any speed. so explain to me how go to either ratio would max his speed at 60 mph. I understand that you may have been exagerating to make it more dramatic but people are tring to get educated here to make there own decisions not just to do what someone else has told them to do.

With that said I still feel that of omaha and drj want to get there motors back into there optimum operating rpm range then they should regear there rears. I don't think that you can get performance out of the motor to make up for the loss of gearing without going into the motor for performance upgrades and spending lots of money. a k&n drop in kit and a tornado aren't going to do it.

• he steve if you do have a 3.73 gear ratio then a 4.16 gear ratio will put you at your factory rpm range. what tranny do you have or if you know what are the gear ratios for each of the gears in your tranny. If I have that i can tell you your rpm at 65 mph with each of the different gear ratios that I have suggested so that you can mess with them all on your own and see what your motor will be turnen at at speed

• 3.73 with 28.7 tires, rpm at 65 mph would be 1958.

3.73 with 31s rpm at 65 mph should equal 1813 (this may be right were you are at)

4.10 with 31 rpm at 65 mph should be 1993

4.56 with 31, rpm at 65 mph should be 2216

4.56 with 32s, rmp at 65 mpg should be 2147.4

so with 31 in tires and a 4.56 gear in the rear and you .69 gear in o/d your rpms would be at what they would be if you were going 73.5 mph with 3.73 gears and and 28.7in tires.with a 4.10 and 31 gear going 65 would be like going 66.1 mph with the factory set up.

with that being said if you regularly run 75 mph going to 4.56 gears would be like running 84.5 mph all the time. of course this is all being under the assumption that you know have 3.73 gear and when I suggested the 4.56 gear we assumed you had 4.10 so I will calculate it all with a starting gear ratio of 4.10

4.10 with 28.7 tires, rpm at 65 mph would be 2152

4.10 with 31s rpm at 65 mph should equal 1993 (this is right around where you could be at now

4.56 with 31, rpm at 65 mph should be 2216

4.56 with 32s, rm at 65 mpg should be 2147.4

so with 31 in tires and a 4.56 gear in the rear and you .69 gear in o/d your rpms would be at what they would be if you were going 66.9 mph with 4.10 gears and and 28.7in tires.

with that being said if you regularly run 75 mph going to 4.56 gears would be like running 77.2 mph all the time. of course this is all being under the assumption that you know have 4.10 gear

that should be clear as mud huh

• Quote from "Da Mutt"

a k&n drop in kit and a tornado aren't going to do it.

Youve also got to get one of those fuel line magnets that aligns all the fuel molecules for better atomization.

• ...and a CD by Dr. Phil of the noise a V8 makes. He says if I play it really loud while I drive, my engine will build self-confidence. $12.95 on ebay.

Youve also got to get one of those fuel line magnets that aligns all the fuel molecules for better atomization

I forgot that one

...and a CD by Dr. Phil of the noise a V8 makes. He says if I play it really loud while I drive, my engine will build self-confidence. $12.95 on ebay

now thats some funny shint

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!