'97 Wrangler 2.5L Pitman arm seal

• Experienced wrenchers: can this seal be replaced without removal of the steering box and or gutting the box? I know the arm needs to come off; duh.

• I dont know how true this is because I never tried, but when mine was leaking a friend of mine who worked at newark jeep said sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, I'm not sure why. I just decided to get a new one due to the fact it was my daily driver and I wanted to minimize down time. I know people swap in durango steering boxes hopefully one of them will chime in and tell you what you need hope this helps

• You will definitely need a torch & pitman arm puller. The splines have quite a grip on the arm after years of steel on steel. The torch and the biggest breaker bar will break it loose. After that, a drill to make a hole in the seal outer case and a set of picks later, the guts are out. Reverse procedure and after an hour and a half, we're done. Clamp off the low pressure side of the reservour to stem the flow from the tank. Cost: $67 for the PS pump, $32 for the steering box seal kit, bottle of fluid. The satisfaction of fixing it yourself... priceless

• ive heard of these kind of fixes.. nicely done.. if mine starts to leak i know who to turn to for tech support...

• Quote from "CapeRed"

ps don't use a shop press to install the power steering pump pulley

:badidea: That's why they put instructions in the box, I'm sure it will be the last time you press before reading... I've done similar goofs too, but I didn't have witnesses. :razz:

• Replacing the pitman arm seal is very easy, you do not need to remove the box, just the pitman arm. Remove the pitman arm, take the snapring out holding the seals into place. Rotate the steering wheel once or twice, the old seals and washers will fall out. Lubricate new seals slide them into place, tap them with appropriately sized socket to get seals to sit, install new snap ring bolt pitman arm back on. Takes maybe a half hour....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!