Posts by whatevah

just a note... I have the eTrex Legend (the model right before the Vista) and it doesn't get very good reception in my XJ. I usually leave it on the dashboard until I need to look at it, using my left hand to hold it near the window. In a soft-top you'll probably get much better reception, though. :D

Another thing to consider, is that under good tree cover, the small GPS units (ie, with small antennas) like the eTrex don't perform as well. Outside with a clear view of the sky, they're awesome, though. The WAAS feature lets you know the accuracy of your position, it'll get you within 15 feet of the exact position if you have a clear view of the sky.

my next GPS will be one with a much bigger antenna, or at least one that I can hook up to an external antenna and can put it on my roof. That's what we do in my Civil Air Patrol mobile command truck.

speaking of CB antennas... I went out this morning to install a CB we had laying in our garage, and now I can't find the antenna. :shrug:

hehe ah well, I get to visit the friendly staff at RadiosHack again. Hmm, maybe I could have one of my friends use his employee discount. :tup: either that, or take 40 seconds to find the silly thing.

what's the average for an XJ with the inline V6 4liter with stock tires?

I never remember to write down the mileage when I fill up, so I haven't been able to get a calculation, yet.

speaking of horns, a buddy of mine has a set of air horns mounted inside the engine compartment of his minivan, mounted so they point out the front right corner.

some hotshot in a convertable import car tried cutting him off on a nice summer day and got an earful of 3 loud airhorns. :)

He and I installed a similar set inside a mobile command center for a search and rescue group, to replace the stock "bus" horn the truck came with. gotta love the difference.

congrats on the inspection, but to be safe, keep your stock horn around for the next inspection.

visited a friend down near Baltimore earlier, and he had a full-size spare mounted where the donut spare goes, the mounting bracket should move a little to compensate. definately easier than lifting the tire to the roof, and you keep your storage space usable.