Posts by oldjeeps

Yup, that's my grandfather. The Jeeps were owned by DCI Architects in Wilmington. They were purchased new in 1984 as city cars to go to construction sites. From what I've heard, when one was running, the other was in the shop. After they were taken out of service, the company bosses bought them. Yours sat outside with a ripped fastback top, mine sat in a garage under boxes. Yours had a factory FM stereo, mine had a radio delete and P/S. My grandfather bought them both for $800 and got them working. My Jeep lived at the family cabin for several years where it gathered dust. The top on yours had a rip all the way across the back window, so we threw that away, but we used the doors on mine until they disintegrated. When I got my license, I needed a car to drive. We hauled it home, put a new Supertop on it (that cost more than the Jeep itself), and I drove it through high school and my first semester of college. It's no longer my daily driver, but it gets out once a week. It had 37K miles when we got it, it now has 47K. You can still barely make out the hood lettering.
    Mine has a tan Supertop and doors, new exhaust, Definity A/T tires on the factory wheels painted white, Skyjacker shocks, Smittybilt front seats, a console, Hella Vision Plus headlights, cheap fog lights, a PA system that was great fun in high school, a trailer winch that doesn't work on the front, and lots of mismatched red spray paint. I just finished patching some of the rust spots on the tub. I should start a thread on some of the misadventures I've had with my Jeep. Don't mean to hijack yours.

OP, does your Jeep have power brakes but no power steering? 11 or 12 years ago, my grandfather bought two red 1984 CJ-7s. Both had the 4cyl, 4spd, very low miles. One had PS but no PB, the other vice-versa. The PB one sat outside for a long time and was rough. He got it running, took the top and doors off, and sold it. The PS one had lived in a garage and was in good shape, so we kept it and it's now mine. Did the original hood have remnants of lettering on it? I think your Jeep might be mine's twin. My grandfather said the other one had been built up after he sold it. Unfortunately, I don't have room for another car, but I saw your Jeep and after reading thought it might be the other one. Nice to know it's still local.