Posts by 96jeep

Yup. Mechanic got some codes off of the PCM - apparently there were some loose or corroded wires - got that working and wants to replace the crank shaft position sensor, the knock sensor, the distributor rotor, the distributor cap, and a new air filter. Given that I just put new tires and new rotors on the car, and the alternator is only a year old, I'm inclined to do it. Please tell me I'm not crazy. Thanks!

I'm at the breaking point with my beloved Jeep. Within the past month I purchased 4 new tires and rotors, new bearings, and now it's cutting out at idle and stop signs, sometimes in busy traffic. Purchased new alternator last year. Car starts back up. Garage says that they can't get a read on the PCM. 130,000 miles. Is it time to say goodbye? Body is in great condition - garaged and mostly city driving, but I've recently been driving to the Catskills. I've read the reconditioned PCMs are not reliable at all and new ones are hard to get and, if i could, are very expensive. On a separate note - if I decide to buy another Jeep, can anyone recommend which is best for great visibility, mountain driving, good in snow, and whether or not it makes sense to buy new or used? No off-roading, but the house in the Catskills is on a very poorly maintained road - steep, rough dirt and rocks. I live in NYC but my siblings live in Wilmington. I got the car from my brother, who was leasing it and pretty much gave it to me about twenty years ago. (He's a very nice brother!) Met a guy with a Delaware Jeep t-shirt a few years back, so I figured I'd reach out. Thanks!